1/16th scale pilot needed.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

1/16th scale pilot needed.

Postby Pauli72 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:01 pm

Hello and Happy Holidays everyone,

After a ten or possibly twelve year hiatus from building balsa airplanes, I got the bug a few months ago and am sitting in front of the big one I never tackled as a kid, the Guillows P-38 lightning.

I was really glad to have stumbled across this forum. It has been most interesting to see others tips and techniques. As well as inspiring to see some of your build logs and awsome finished airplanes. Great job guys! It's been a big help.

Since most of the airplanes built in my youth have either been lost due to .049 free-flight mishaps, or gone hither,thither, and yon with the years, I decided to take my time and make this one a really super detailed ceiling hanger. Which brings me to my question. The 1/16th scale pilot figure with the kit is the same one that was responcible for crashing some of my other Guillows 1/16 models..lol. Has anyone seen a full-body, seated position, WW II American pilot with more realistic detail anywhere? I've found the various 1/16th half-body 'busts', but no full body pilots. Any and all ideas/info are welcome. Thanks.

Pauli
Pauli72

Re: 1/16th scale pilot needed.

Postby simonlschmitz » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:40 pm

There is a p-38 1/18 scale pilot from "Ulitimate Soldier XD." They are more like action figures, but do have good detailing. The figure would probably be a 1/4" short of 1/16 scale, but that would make him 5'-3" in real life.
simonlschmitz

Postby regular guy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:43 pm

schmitz
you beat me to it!
i have Ultimate 1/18 F-104 w/pilot and TBF Avenger ( George Bush Sr. plane ) w/3 crewman figures
i could take pic next to ruler
you can get figures pretty easy but not planes

happy holidays!
regular guy

Postby Pauli72 » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:37 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I'll check 'em out.

The reason I asked is because I'm going all out on my first super detailed, scratch-bult cockpit for this P-38. I saw some photos in Fine Scale Modeler magazine of plastic and resin cockpits that looked awsome. I figured I'd give it a try with the Guillows.

I'll post some pic's soon.
Pauli72

Postby Philc40 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:30 pm

Friends don't let friends fly drunk.
Philc40

Postby Mitch » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Pauli

I know its been a while, but I just came across this site... "Scalehobbyist.com"

They have military model figures and a lot in 1/16 scale (Very Detailed)

I also paint model figures for wargamiming (28mm) and thought it would be fun to make individual dispay figures... and after more searching I see they have a German Pilot, Japanese, USAAF and USN PIlot. They are not seated but standing. Maybe the kit could be modified/kitbashed.

There are several makers. Some of them might be pewter or have pewter parts.

I was planning to buy a few MiniArt models which are plastic, but I will also buy the Pilots which I think are all made by Tamiya.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby Pauli72 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks Mitch! Appreciate it bud.

I ended up doing a detailed cockpit and opted to not put a pilot figure in it.
However, I will be checking out that website for future builds.

Thanks again for that website.
Pauli
Pauli72

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:55 am

The smallest Williams Brothers pilots are reasonable for 1/16" scale, although they will require a bit of work to get the look that you want. I've added torsos to a number of them, to avoid the "head sticking out of nowhere look".
The small Dare pilots also work for 1/16" scale, such as the pilot I recently used in a Guillows P51.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Return to General Building Questions