Cessna 180 Group Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Cessna 180 Group Build

Postby sawingman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:50 pm

I'm really enjoying following along on this build. With the great close ups and narrative it is extremely instructive for a beginner. After you glued in your wing patch, did you somehow mask off the rest of the wing to be able to shrink just the patch?

Please keep up the great work.
sawingman

Postby Phugoid » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:01 am

T
Last edited by Phugoid on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phugoid

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:47 am

Looking great Andrew

Great tutorial I am going to try the PVA method on my next build to see how I get on.

My glue stick technique is getting better but I'm always up for trying new things.

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby scigs30 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:56 pm

To prevent those wrinkles up front, try to add a little moisture to the tissue and put it on real tight. You are not adding a lot of water so the tissue will still have a lot of shrink left.
scigs30

Postby Phugoid » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:58 pm

T
Phugoid

Postby sawingman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:52 pm

Showing how to replace that panel was very worthwhile. It really helps to know how to make a recovery (no pun intended) when things go bad.
sawingman

Postby Mitch » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:15 am

Hi Guys,

Just got home a few days ago and am finishing up chores and leftover Turkey.

Want to join in on this build. Always looking for better ways to make a model. Just got my 180 from the hobby store and the wood weighed in at 19.3 grams. (Also got a gram scale from Harbor Frieght) So I think I got a good start. I do not expect to use the paper in the kit. I will use Easy Built paper or maybe some Esaki. I enjoy looking at the build and Q&A's.

When I start my build I will post some pics.

My basic build will include white glue for contruction, Glue Stick to attach paper, then 2 coats of thinned clear dope.

Mitch

PS Just putting the finishing touches on my SE5a. It was too rough in the Gulf of Alaska... Like trying to build a model on a roller coaster. Reworked the Lewis Gun, made a Gun scope, Still have to add the exhaust pipe... pics coming soon!!! Also put in a Vickers Gun in the Fuselage. Will still have to add the rigging, then when the sun shines go for a test "Take Off"!!!
Mitch

Postby Phugoid » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:17 am

G
Phugoid

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:45 am

scigs30 wrote:To prevent those wrinkles up front, try to add a little moisture to the tissue and put it on real tight. You are not adding a lot of water so the tissue will still have a lot of shrink left.

Hi Scigs or Andrew

Does this mean moisten the tissue before gluing it onto the frame?

If so how much moisture should be added before attempting this?

Sorry for the questions and again thank you for the help as this is an area I am still trying to refine!

Welcome aboard Mitch - good start with the wood!

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby Phugoid » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:38 am

V
Phugoid

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:35 am

Phugoid wrote:Very little (damp), there are no hard and fast rules so you'll have to play. This is sort of why I avoided the approach in what I've illustrated...... Scigs has been doing this for years so he knows exactly what to do.....

With decent tissue you really should not have to do any wet covering on a wing perhaps other than the tips, without care you could easily end up with a "potato chip" wing amonsgt other things. My reccomendation would lie the way of using decent tissue dry due to the other added benifits.

Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thank you for this. I have got some esaki (Not sure on the spelling) tissue to try on my 500 spitfire so I am looking forward to seeing how this is in comparison to the kit tissue.

Of course I got it from SAMs - My wife can't believe the price of it. I know its a small sheet but I thought it was ok for good quality tissue. :D

I'll use it dry then and see how I go.

On an aside I bought a remote control trainer plane at the weekend (Hobbyzone Super Cub DSM) so I'm looking forward to smashing that to pieces at some point. Trying to find a club or debate on whether to just try it on my own (Totally out of character for me, normally I'm Mr methodical)! Its all part of my master plan to convert a guillows plane one day.

I have been building a 504 spitfire recently whilst I wait for the next stage of the cessna build and although the wood is bad and heavy, I have loved cutting out the notches and taking time to make the parts fit. I really cant wait to scratch build one now. Not expecting this one to fly at all but I'm just really enjoying the build process. I know I have not got my planes to fly particularly well but I really love building the planes from plans.

I love putting these things together!!

Thanks again Andrew - Without your help and this forum I would have been really stuck.

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby scigs30 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 pm

There are very few occasions were I would cover the wing with wet tissue because of issues with warping. The problem with this kit is the ribs towards the leading edge cause the tissue to wrinkle when you try and shrink it. There are some structure changes one can make to avoid this, but for me I just lightly moisten the tissue and begin putting it on. This way I can stretch the tissue and there is no slack, and the slack is what causes the wrinkles when you cover dry. It is the same principle that is used when covering a round fuselage with moist tissue, it allows you to stretch the tissue so wrinkles don't develope from excess slack. I used pre shrunk Esaki so I could have a blue and yellow Cessna like the cover, I don't know why Guillows put Grey tissue in this kit.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1793&p=7946&hilit=cessna+180#p7946
scigs30

Postby Phugoid » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:05 am

I
Last edited by Phugoid on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phugoid

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:16 am

Hi Scigs and Andrew

Thank you very much, a new modeller like myself would have a lot of trouble without your input along with this forum.

I just don't have any decent shops to get tissue from. One hobby shop 45 minutes away has a range of colours but the guy in the shop is terrible (Shouts at you when talking and is very reluctant to help) therefore I try to avoid it if possible. I have no idea how he makes any money. The other shop is OK but they stress that the tissue companies no longer make coloured tissue and they only make white!

I think it is SAMs all the way for me.

Thanks again.

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby Mitch » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:22 am

I order my paper from Easy Built. I ordered a bunch of military colors so I have a supply. They also sell the Esaki paper. I have a small supply of that and plan to use that for this build. I just don't like the look of this paper in the kit.

I feel lucky that one of the hobby shops near my house still carries Dope.

Just put the finishing touches on the SE5a last night, so I will start the 180 build today.

Mitch
Mitch

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions