Sealing the model?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Sealing the model?

Postby bsnider » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:00 pm

Hello, I have completed my second guillow's and am ready to try covering again. (Thank you to all of you how helped with my last post) I live in an rual community and my hobby shop is limited... I did get some K&S silkspan when I was on vacation and am ready to go... I will be using aerogloss dope/thinner. My questions is... can I use spray primer to seal the model? (It will not be a flying model) Aerogloss makes a sealer, but I thought it might be easier to just use good old rustoleum spray white primer.... Any comments would be greatly appreciated.... Thanks, Brian
bsnider

Postby John G. Jedinak » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Why not go with 50/50 Elmers white glue and water. Just finished using silkspan for the first time using the 50/50 without problems....also no odor or trips to the hobbyshop................ Been using the Elmers thing in place of dope (even for sealing the balsa) for years now..............Luck, JGJ
John G. Jedinak

Postby Xanadu » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:25 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :shock:

DO NOT USE A SPRAY PAINT PRIMER.

You will be kicking yourself for that if you do. It will shrink and distort the the tissue and make it very weak and brittle.

At the least, use a white acylic craft style paint. I buy mine at the local dollar/discount store cheap.

However, if you already have the dope, thin it to a 50-50 ratio and use that to seal it. Works very well, kinda stinks while you are doing it, but it works.
Even for the covering process, I always thin my dope out to 50-50, there is no need to use it full strength.

Or like others have mentioned use a white glue thinned out to 50-50 as well.
Xanadu

Postby bsnider » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:18 pm

Thanks for the advice.... Even though I have some dope, I don't have to use it necessarily (Only have a 1 once jar of dope and thinner) I would love to use elmer's as working inside really appeals to me! How do you paint over the tissue (or silkspan) once you use the white glue solution? I guess that I just have it in my mind that dope is better... Also, how does the "wet" method work with elmer's. Sorry to ask so many moronic questions.

Brian
bsnider

Postby Xanadu » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:26 pm

You can brush or spray just as normal, your choice. :D

Please read over the posts in the link I listed, it will be of great help, I am 100% positive!
8)
You can also search thru this site using keywords, etc.

http://balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=744
Xanadu

Postby bsnider » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:14 am

Thanks, that link was extremely helpful... Much Appreicated. Interesting side note: Mr. Duckett's models are what got me interested in the hobby in the firts place. I came across a picture of his skyhawk just surfing the web one day. Thanks again, Brian
bsnider

Postby John G. Jedinak » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:10 pm

Brian.........I used the wet method for the first time over diluted Elmers on my recently finished Stinson Reliant. Since the tissue is wet, even after you absorb the excess water, the dried Elmers on the balsa gets a little tacky. No problem though, just a small inconvience.................JGJ
John G. Jedinak

Postby bsnider » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:16 pm

I am going to try wet with elmers. Follow up questions.... Do I just "seal" the areas that I want the silkspan to adhere to or do I "seal" the entire model? When I attach the silkspan, do I use more glue/water or will it simply stick to the areas that have been sealed? Sorry, I just want to get a clear picture. Thanks for the help. Brian
bsnider

Postby bsnider » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:53 am

Thanks so much for taking the time to explain this in detail. I sincerely appreciate it. Well, let the sealing begin! I feel a lot better about this :D

Thanks again, Brian
bsnider

Return to General Building Questions