Painting with acrylics

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby John G. Jedinak » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:11 pm

Dave............Great essay on painting with acrylics. Been wanting to try that and now I have just about all the background I need. I assume spraying with a clear gloss acrylic after a coat or two would achieve a gloss finish more quickly. Also I have purchased some silkspan (was not easy to find locally) and intend to use your wet method. Your models are all great and your constant sharing of info is always appreciated!!!!!
JohnG.
John G. Jedinak

Postby Xanadu » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:00 pm

I myself prefer the wet method, it works very well.

Great bit of info, thanks!

Also paint canvas,...........hmmm....a real painter.
Xanadu

Postby John G. Jedinak » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:59 am

Dave...........Thanks for the offer of the prop. Right now I have a Stinson Reliant, Mitchell B-25 and a Stuka on que. Don't see a Bearcat in the near future. Perhaps someone else may have a need. About sharing...how does it go...Imitation is the greatest form of compliment. Thanx, again....JohnG.
John G. Jedinak

Postby John G. Jedinak » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:20 am

Meant to say Hellcat (not in the near future) not Bearcat......JGJ
John G. Jedinak

Postby DELETED » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:49 pm

DELETED
DELETED

Postby DELETED » Sat Nov 11, 2006 3:54 pm

DELETED
DELETED

Postby Xanadu » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:43 pm

I started painting my Spitfore as well, but in a Royal Navy version. So far I have 2 coats on it, and I am same boat as you. The first coat looked terrible, but the 2nd is making it look much better, so a 3rd coat should be pretty good.
Mine ended up being quite a flat matte looking finish as well, I have not yet decided if to gloss it over or not. The original plane would NOT have had a gloss, so...........
Xanadu

Postby Xanadu » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:51 am

Yes, I would agree that we should actually "primer" coat before we start adding base coats of paint. No different than painting a home, a car, etc.

A primer coat is usually a grey or white shade, so its quite a nuetral color. Then the actual colors we apply are not soaked thru or bleed thru.

Its the first time I use acylics, so I am waiting to find out how to make them glossy after the final coat of color is on.
The acylics I purchased were from "Decoart" in small bottles, just to try this first time.
Took me 1 bottle to paint 3 coats on the Series 400 Spitfire, so a I invested an entire $1 so far on it. A bit cheaper than the dope, and whole lot nicer smelling!
I never noticed if they sold a gloss over where I bought the paints.

I do plan on purchasing some Liquidtex to use later, just have to find a local place that has it in stock. I am sure they are around, just have not seen it anywhere, but then again I was not looking for it either
Xanadu

Postby DELETED » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:28 pm

DELETED
DELETED

Postby Xanadu » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:38 pm

I have a Michels up here too, so one day I will run down there and check things out.
Xanadu

Postby Xanadu » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:28 pm

Went to Michels today, what a ton of stuff! Hard to decide, there is is so much.
I found the Liquidtex paints, plus some others. Pretty pricey but I have no doubt they are worth it.
They are thick creams, so how much water do you mix with them? Whats a good rule of thumb to follow?

1/4" gob for 1/4 cup water? etc...........
Or is it more of just a tablespoon of water instead?

I did not buy any yet, they start at $17 a tube, so want to ask for more advice first before sinking out that kind of cash.

What an assortment of brushes too, tough to even think where to start.
I bought a 10/00 for doing fine detail, cost me $7 though, but it seems to be exactly what I was looking for.

And what a huge selectin of glues too, I bought a couple new ones to try out. One is clear gel , super sticky, and another one thats a white super sticky. See if I can use these instead of CA's to tack then apply white elmers to finalize.
Lot cheaper than hobby store too.
Even had a nice Badger air brush I put on my xmas list.
Xanadu

Postby Xanadu » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:40 pm

This helps tremendously, explains a lot...........

Thanks!

Good tip with the toothpaste.
Xanadu

Postby RandyE » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:26 pm

by the way, liquitex with medium, airbrushes great, been using liquitex for 15 years on my resin figure kits, will try them on my static planes.
I use tamiya paint on plastic kits.

Randy
RandyE

Postby RandyE » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:30 pm

this model is done with liquitex, gives you an idea how great the pigment is, this is my other hobby.This was done using an airbrush, liquitex antique gold of various shades were use.
RandyE

Postby Xanadu » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:02 pm

wow...........what more can I say..........
Xanadu

Next

Return to General Building Questions