Bismark News story, w/ David Duckett

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Bismark News story, w/ David Duckett

Postby Xanadu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:37 pm

Click on the link for the news story, and don't forget to click on the video link on the story page.

David Duckett and I attended the dedication, and it was outstanding to say the least!

http://kfyrtv.com/News_Stories.asp?news=44915
Xanadu

Postby Phugoid » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:12 pm

Good stuff was it all simulation? or are there real experiments and hands on stuff too?

The simulations are great and add to the experience but In my job I've met a lot of students that a great on the PC, but can't explain Benouli's equation, or the bending moment in a wing....
Phugoid

Postby Xanadu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:32 pm

David donated 50 of his models to the school for on hands display, and I brought down several RC ones, including a foamie we had the kids flying in the gymnasium.
40 out 47 students opted to give it a try, and they all got it off the ground and made at least 1 full turn.
They all did fantastic, and it helped them understand some basic principle of flight first hand.
Xanadu

Postby Xanadu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:33 pm

The class also includes lots of theory, flight basics and they are actually building a 7/8 version of a Piper Cub in the senior years classes.
Xanadu

Postby Phugoid » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:47 pm

Of course I have a bias about such things, this is the company that I run with my boss who is the owner....

http://www.tecquipment.com

We have a lot of fun with this stuff!
Phugoid

Postby Xanadu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Don't forget that these are high school students, not college or university. They do have some of the machines there that help them understand aerodynamics, but just the basics. The whole idea of the class is to help them grow that spark inside for some form of a career in aeronautics.
Xanadu

Postby Phugoid » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:39 pm

In my previous messages I talked about "bending moments" and we have some real neat experiment simulation software for doing that and looking at other structural concepts if they like the PC simulation approach. I can certainly make a donation on that score if they are interested. This is on the website in the "Structures" section.

In terms of real hands on gear, I can't FOC a $100,000 supersonic wind tunnel but we are restructuring some of our basic engineering products over the next 12-18 months and there's likely to be things to drop out from that they could probably use and get a lot from to "stoke the interest". not only in the Aero end of things but in engineering in general Can I keep you informed of developments on that?

Kind Regards

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby Xanadu » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:38 am

Not sure if you have it, but here is a link to the cub they are building.

http://mykitplane.com/Planes/buildLogRe ... 0tandem%29
Xanadu

Return to General Building Questions