Guillows sheetwood flying models - the Zip nocals.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby simpleflyer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:25 am

Thanks, SquishyP-38, for your interest and comments re the swing control models. We did try tailless 'swingers' a couple of times, but they were a bit disappointing. The paper dart below flew well indoors.

The stub nosed version, also a good flyer.

Later, we built this stick and tissue tailless model.

It flew, kinda erratic and not very stable.

I imagine there are some tailless designs out there that would be good flyers, but it would take some more experimenting to find them. Some of the early tailless controlline combat models were smooth and stable flyers.

al
simpleflyer

Postby Squishyp38 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:25 pm

I like that design ALOT! where did you get it? I want to build one.
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Squishyp38 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:58 pm

bump
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby BillParker » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:18 pm

William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Squishyp38 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:20 pm

I was talking about the tail-less plane. I LOVE that design so much! I really want to build one!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby Squishyp38 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:33 pm

The stick and tissue one. Sorry, just clarifying.
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby simpleflyer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:13 am

Time for an update with the Guillow's 'Zip' models and new swing control developments. This past summer we acquired a new swing pole-a Shakespeare Durango 12 foot panfish pole. This tool has added a new dimension to our swing control flying experience. We are now able to fly in a longer radius flight circle. Also we can fly a new modified short radius circle which is ideal for the 'Zip' models.

By using a 10 foot swing line from the pole tip to the model, we can establish a flight pattern of approximately 20 foot diameter in front of us and do all the flying in that area. It is just like flying a RTP model on a 10 foot line by remote control. By controlling the tip speed and height and moving it in a circular motion in front of us we can control the speed and altitude of the model in its circular flight. It works best in calm air conditions, but can be accomplished in light breezes or gusts.

A few pictures of the 'Zip' F-100..

The F-100 at the far side of the circle.

As it comes in close.

And overhead.

simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:47 am

We made some flights with the 'Zip' C-47 and C-119. These three models are 12 inches or less in wingspan. A couple of pics of the C-47.

and the C-119

simpleflyer

Postby CedarBranchFisher » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:16 am

I still remember my balsa wood glider, was about 5 years old. It promptly landed in a tree and my aunt knocked it out with a broom. This was 57 years ago. As soon as my granddaughter was old enough, I bought her a rubber band balsa plane, which her uncle immediately landed on the roof. "Simple" can be a lot of fun. :D
Retired, relaxed, and keepin busy playin...until my wife catches me.
CedarBranchFisher

Postby simpleflyer » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Thanks for your comment, CedarBranchFisher. "simple" is indeed a lot of fun and cheaper :D
simpleflyer

Gliders

Postby rayd » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:14 pm

Has anyone noted the number of views on this? This is interesting. In the early to mid Fifties, I had run of the mill 10 cent gliders from corner candy and dime stores galore..usually sold in seperate parts totalling a dime, not in any box rarely in any plastic wrap. (They came later, and a larger Guillows also became avialable, I think, for a quarter in a plastic wrapper) I recall a few gliders...Tiger Shark, Jim Walker 74, maybe a non printed no frills bipe (flew great) possibly by Guillows, and some others. Then as time went on, rubber w/wheels in pkg. Could this be a regional thing?? Did I miss out on something here?

For the life of me, I do not recall the ones shown in this post! Maybe these were earlier? Am curious, and maybe others as well also curious. I do recall the solid models (preplastic days), stick models we often ruined as kids, and later prefab sheet balsa in boxes which rarely flew...too heavy. Never recall seeing printed glider type planes for a dime or so in a box looking like anything but a profile fighter during early 50s. :shock: Tell us more. Sure, guess they were around. I don't live under a rock, but darn, does this mean stores I frequented in northeast towns did not carry much?
rayd

Postby CedarBranchFisher » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:26 pm

I vaguely remember having a balsa wood rubber band plane with landing gear around 1955. Hobby Lobby still carries pretty much the same plane57 years later. :D
Retired, relaxed, and keepin busy playin...until my wife catches me.
CedarBranchFisher

Re: Guillows sheetwood flying models - the Zip nocals.

Postby simpleflyer » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:06 pm

guilRCp40rgf.JPG
In addition to the all-sheet balsa profile gliders and rubber powered models, Guillows produced a line of sheet balsa profile rubber powered models with stick and tissue covered wings. There were twelve airplanes in this series.

DC-25 P-40
DC-26 F4U
DC-27 Zero
DC-28 Hurricane
DC-29 Spitfire
DC-30 Me 109
DC-31 FW 190
DC-32 P-51
DC-33 P-47
DC-34 F6F
DC-35 Ju 87
DC-36 Stormavik
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:22 pm

The plan for these little profiles consisted of a single letter sized sheet printed on both sides.
P-40_DC_pln1M.jpg

P-40_DC_pln2M.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
simpleflyer

Postby simpleflyer » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:55 pm

A couple of years ago we wanted a quick to build swinger. The airplane that we wanted to model was the Avia C-10, a Czech built Me-109G-10 using the DB605 engine. A small number of these were built and used by the Czech Air Police for border protection shortly after the Germans left after WW2. So we took this profile.
AVC-10_ color profile.jpg

and the plan sheet for the Guillows DC series Me-109. From these we made up patterns and plans for the model.
AvC-10_04-07-09r.jpg

Using the patterns we made up a C-10 kit.
AvC-10_04-14-09bcr.jpg
simpleflyer

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions