P-38 Lighting 2 R/C

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

P-38 Lighting 2 R/C

Postby Wired211 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:08 pm

HI, Im new to this forum and I am now starting to convert this marvaelous kit to R/C. My question is this, has anyone ever done this before? and if so, I could use as much help as possable.

Thanks in advance
Wired211

P-38

Postby Dick` » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:58 pm

I can't help you - never built a powered craft, but I have a question.

Didn't the P-38 engines rotate in opposite directions? Just curious, can you do that with model engines?

Dick
Dick`

P-38 engines

Postby birddog » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:10 pm

Yes, the P-38 engines rotated in opposite directions. Viewed from the cockpit the right propeller rotated in the normal direction, clockwise. Left propeller, counter-clockwise.. With DC electric motors it's a simple matter of reversing the polarity to the motor. 2 stroke gas engines can run in both directions.
birddog

Re: P-38 engines

Postby Goindwnswingn » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:53 pm

[quote="birddog"]Yes, the P-38 engines rotated in opposite directions. Viewed from the cockpit the right propeller rotated in the normal direction, clockwise. Left propeller, counter-clockwise.. With DC electric motors it's a simple matter of reversing the polarity to the motor. 2 stroke gas engines can run in both directions.[/quote]Did yo ever start on your F4U4 corsair? I recently purchased the large version and want to make it an RC. This is my first kit and will be starting it in a few days.
Goindwnswingn

F4U progress

Postby supercruiser » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:01 am

Yes, I started the Corsair. However, I did something you are trying to avoid, that is backtracking on previous work. I originally, was going to make it free flight with a Cox .049 engine. Then the project got shelved for about 5 years.
Now micro servos are available at low prices , so I decided to go micro RC.
with a norvel .061 engine. Had to cut the wings and make provision for movable ailerons. Had not started the tail, so it was easy just to make the sheet balsa surfaces as per the Control LIne plans. Had to make accomadations for a separate fuel tank in the nose of the plane. the cox engine had it's own tank. I've got all the stuff to
finish, I think working a couple of evenings a week, I could have it done by July. Got so many other obligations that I think it might be this time next year when I finish. Not sure if I'll put retracts or not. Got to make that decision before too long.

Birddog
supercruiser

Re: F4U progress

Postby Goindwnswingn » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:26 pm

[quote="supercruiser"]Yes, I started the Corsair. However, I did something you are trying to avoid, that is backtracking on previous work. I originally, was going to make it free flight with a Cox .049 engine. Then the project got shelved for about 5 years.
Now micro servos are available at low prices , so I decided to go micro RC.
with a norvel .061 engine. Had to cut the wings and make provision for movable ailerons. Had not started the tail, so it was easy just to make the sheet balsa surfaces as per the Control LIne plans. Had to make accomadations for a separate fuel tank in the nose of the plane. the cox engine had it's own tank. I've got all the stuff to
finish, I think working a couple of evenings a week, I could have it done by July. Got so many other obligations that I think it might be this time next year when I finish. Not sure if I'll put retracts or not. Got to make that decision before too long. So, Birdog, what information did you use to set up all the extras involved in making it into an RC or is it just get creative and improvise and alot of ingenuity? I am very mechanically inclined and have actually worked on fullsize airplane structure, such as airframe, aluminum paneling, and alot of fabric work but this is still going to be a challenge without instructions for setting up the electronics, and all involved with the RC. This is my very first but I love the challence and know I can do it. I almost got the larger version with 60" wing span but now I see this is even a large first step for a beginner. Thanks for the infor, I am sure I will be using this forum for quite some time. By the way, who long did it take you to build the basic plane, from start to paint.

Birddog[/quote]
Goindwnswingn

New guy

Postby Goindwnswingn » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:28 pm

Sorry about my technique with this forum, I am also new to the computer, so my apologies go out to everyone.
Goindwnswingn

F4u

Postby supercruiser » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:30 pm

Yep, you picked a hard one for a first time build. But, your mechanical background and patience will go a long way to completing it. My approach to the R/C conversion is just a lot of guesswork and intuition. If you go to the Guillow's homepage , there is section for building supplies. check the books tab. there is a book by Don Ross on electric r/c and other such things.
So far on the Corsair I have the wings framed up and the fuselage framed but, no sheeting on nose(I plan on reinforcing the forward fuselage with 1/32 inch balsa sheet) and cut and sanded the sheet balsa tail surfaces. I would say that it took about 20 to 25 hours to do that. Next, I need to paint the entire structure with fuel proof dope. I plan on covering it with tissue and then spraying with Navy blue dope overall. Most folks would say to use monokote. But, I like the old methods. Maybe one day I'll keep a work log when I build these models.
supercruiser

Postby wizardrincewind » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:07 pm

i have just orded a couple f kits my intention is to scale up the kit to 100 inch wingspan and power it with two 35cc petrol engines
wizardrincewind

Postby javisegura » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:08 pm

I don't know if this pics may help you, my plane is not finished yet... I will post more pictures when it done... http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/javisegura/SBD%20Dauntless/?action=view&current=photo9.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1
Javier Segura
Bogota - Colombia
(South America)
www.javisegura.com
javisegura

Postby Xanadu » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:08 pm

Go here and post your pics, its a great site!

http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/?p_menu=1
Xanadu

Postby Xanadu » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:18 pm

I have an B-29 foam electric plane I bought early in the summer. It flys via 2 channel RC, on 4 electric motors........and very well indeed.
The plane "steers" through thrust differential, meaning when you want to turn, you press the toggle switch to the direction you to go, and the opposite side engines speed up, turning the plan.......!
To climb, just give it more throttle, to decend, less throttle. The engines are tilted downward a good 10 degrees at least, and force the wing to have lift. But if left in full throttle, it climbs so steep after a while it will stall, so ya gotta be careful.
Best $50 worth of fun I ever got!

Anyways, I just bought another one, and plan on taking the first ones engines, etc, and maybe modifying the B-17 to utilize them, or try on a smaller 2 engine model.
The foam B-29 is quite a big heavier than one would think, and I know none of the Guillows would come close to being as heavy, so I think it has a good chance of working out!
Xanadu

P38 Lightning

Postby The Flying Panda » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:44 pm

I too am workn on a p38 conversion to rc. My aircraft is coming along slowly. There are a few things to know what u want and what u dont,
How many channels do u need and is it gas or electric? Mine will have electric engines which will each be on their own channel to help turn left and right my servos are located in the main wing and in the booms the rudders each will be linked into one channel once adjusted the landing gear i have not decided on however it is built retractable according to the plans and the covering is ultra coat for more streangth and less weight.

I really would like to know how it goes e-mail me @ peacebgie@hotmail.com and ill get some pics 2 you I too started this project as my first and still have a long ways to go for more understanding. I just found out about the micro engines and their gear boxes.

The Fly'n Panda
Merry Christmas Happy New Year[color=blue]
[/color]
FORTRESS CONFIGURATIONS (C)
The Flying Panda

Postby Xanadu » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Xanadu

Postby The Flying Panda » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:29 pm

Hey i had an idea what about building a guillows model putting an ultra coat type skin on and once the model is built getting some kind of spray in foam and injecting it into the model for added strength especially once you have removed uneccessary weight? has any one herd of this sort of thing? you know how they spray foam into walls for insulation what about doing this to hold parts in place such as a motor or a reciever/battery compartment.

The Fly'n Panda
FORTRESS CONFIGURATIONS (C)
The Flying Panda

Next

Return to General Building Questions