P38

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

P38

Postby scigs30 » Thu May 03, 2007 3:01 am

I wanted to build a P38 and was torn between the Guillows, Comet or Dumas kit. The Comet kit would fly the best but lacks a lot of detail and I would have to Vac u Form my own canopy. The Guillows kit is big but has the best detail. I almost bought it, but when I opened the box and looked at the wood I took it back. The die crush was bad and after spending 80.00 dollars I didn't want to have to print my own wood. The Dumas kit was perfect, 30 inch wing, good detail and Laser cut. So far I am 4 days into the build and I have the plane 65 percent covered. I am using Elmer's glue and this is an easy build so far. I will dope it silver when done, and make my own decals.

After 3 days the frame is built and sanded

Tissue applied with Elmers 50/50, so far no wrinkles.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Fri May 04, 2007 12:41 am

Here is the pictures of P38 covered and some parts are doped. It is too late I will dope the rest in a day or so and spray the plane a coat of silver dope. Should be done soon. So far no wrinkles or major mishaps.

Because of the curves in the fuselage and I cover dry with 50/50 Elmer's, this how I had to cover the fuselages so there are no wrinkles
scigs30

Postby John G. Jedinak » Fri May 04, 2007 7:20 am

Looking really great!!! Your use of white for the parts...how long does it take to dry before you can move on. I use the Testors "Quick Dry" so that I can keep moving forward................JGJ
John G. Jedinak

Postby cdwheatley » Fri May 04, 2007 10:26 am

Great work scigs. I don't want to seem picky, but two points spring to mind though:-

1. Wouldn't progress pictures like these be more appropriate on a website such as the Virtual Aerodrome one, which is much more suitable for that purpose? And before anyone says, yes I know I've posted a few pictures here before - point taken!

2. Don't you think it's a bit, I don't know, insensitive or ungrateful to be extolling the virtues of another manufacturer's kit here, on a Guillow's forum?!
cdwheatley

Postby Erwin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:30 am

Looking good so far.
Erwin

Postby TeamMaico » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:13 pm

cdwheatley wrote:Great work scigs. I don't want to seem picky, but two points spring to mind though:-

1. Wouldn't progress pictures like these be more appropriate on a website such as the Virtual Aerodrome one, which is much more suitable for that purpose? And before anyone says, yes I know I've posted a few pictures here before - point taken!

2. Don't you think it's a bit, I don't know, insensitive or ungrateful to be extolling the virtues of another manufacturer's kit here, on a Guillow's forum?!

I am with him. And after all the work why not make it fly. Moderator should delete it.
If you're not living on tghe edge, you're taking up too much space.
TeamMaico

Postby Erwin » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:18 am

TeamMaico wrote:
cdwheatley wrote:Great work scigs. I don't want to seem picky, but two points spring to mind though:-

I am with him. And after all the work why not make it fly. Moderator should delete it.

Hi all,

I'm new here so I'm a bit confused.

Is this forum for asking questions only ? Can't a buildreport be started here ?

I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.
Erwin

Postby scigs30 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:26 am

I posted the rest of this build at Virtual Aerodrome. I don't want to upset anyone or take away from Guillows so I am only going to post pictures of my Guillow builds. I must admit I am building a Comet kit, but that company is now owned by Guillows so I don't mind posting pictures.
scigs30

Postby supercruiser » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:51 pm

Erwin wrote:Hi all,

Far as I know posting pictures with a buildreport is o.k, but it may take a long time for the discussion thread to load with all those pictures. Some folks might have only a dial-up connection. Back when I was using a dial-up connection I was always apprehensive when I visited a discussion topic because it might have a lot of pictures. It took a loooonnng time to load. Since virtualaerodrome is setup for hosting buildreports with lots of photos, thats what several people here use.
supercruiser

Postby John G. Jedinak » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:21 am

Gotta echo Supercruisers comments. Pictures on thi site really do slow do openning time. I do have dial-up and often get discouraged waiting for a page to finally open.
John G. Jedinak

Postby Erwin » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:05 pm

supercruiser wrote:
Erwin wrote:Hi all,

Far as I know posting pictures with a buildreport is o.k, but it may take a long time for the discussion thread to load with all those pictures. Some folks might have only a dial-up connection. Back when I was using a dial-up connection I was always apprehensive when I visited a discussion topic because it might have a lot of pictures. It took a loooonnng time to load. Since virtualaerodrome is setup for hosting buildreports with lots of photos, thats what several people here use.

Thank you for explaining.
Erwin

Return to General Building Questions