Guillow's kit #1001 P-47D

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Guillow's kit #1001 P-47D

Postby Geezer » Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:54 am

I've been working on building this model. I made it through the fuselage including the retractable rear landing gear. I'm on the stabilizer now with moveable elevators. Can you tell me when and how to use part SB: Stabilizer Connector Block. It is shown in place in the below the rudder. Is it a permanent part? I don't see any instructions as to its use. I know I'll have plenty more questions when I get to the wings
Geezer

Postby heywooood » Sun Jul 14, 2024 12:45 am

I don’t typically build up the tail feathers with the kit parts - I use sheet balsa and birch ply and use the plan as a template pattern.
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby Geezer » Sun Jul 14, 2024 1:01 pm

Thanks for your reply. Love the slide show. And your finished Jug is exquisite. I'm still loaded with motivation. It's been about 66 years since I built my last balsa kit (B-25). I'm 78. I'm following through with all the moveable parts for the reacquisition of my skill set for the task. It's heartening that you left off executing some of those. This is my third kit (P-38, a mess; and P-51, not bad; the first with moveable ailerons, the second moveable flaps), so I feel I have to move up to more moveable parts. What I'm looking for are videos of steps in the building. Working on the tail feathers now I have one simple question about the part SB: It's use seems to appear when assembling Rudder and Stabilizer, but what role does it play in that procedure? I'd be grateful if you could direct me to any other sites, especially ones containing videos in the process of building.

I actually did manage to jerry-rig hinges for the doors for the rear wheel retraction eventually using Duck Tape cut to size. But the edge of one door refuses to fold all the way in. I'd include pictures but I don't know how to upload them.

Again, not only is your Jug beautiful but your pictures are clear and colorful.
Geezer

Postby heywooood » Sun Jul 14, 2024 11:05 pm

There aren't too many builders who record full length, step-by-step build videos and the few that do haven't yet built this particular kit. Not that I have found anyway.
Also - I usually keep the remains of these kits, including the plan sheets, in their boxes for several months after a build has been completed - however after this build the shop was in
need of a clean-out. I no longer have the pertinent plans or parts here to look into this inquiry of yours. I'm afraid at this point I have no quick solution for this question.
I will suggest this only -
The P-47 has a rudder that carries right through the fuselage - it does NOT stop at the horizontal stabilizer. But the kit is built with the fuselage as one piece. You have to cut the tail end of it off at the rudder to fuselage joint.
The kit includes the parts needed to complete both the fuselage end of that cut - and the tail end of the fuselage you have cut off and is now the lower rudder section.
The top or main portion of the rudder is then glued to that lower section of the fuselage to make the single part that is the complete rudder of the airplane.
The plans Do call all of this out, but because you have to build the fuselage from nose to tail - then cut off the tail end it can be a little difficult to sort out what they want you to do and what parts go where.
I don't know if any of this helps you but that's the best I can do at this point.
heywooood

Postby akjgardner » Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:40 pm

Looking good as usual
akjgardner

Postby heywooood » Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:24 pm

thank you - I always appreciate your encouragement.

The project I'm currently on is a special build for my granddaughter - a fairly large and extremely detailed dollhouse.
It might be a while before I can get to the DC-3 but it is next in line for the channel and this board.
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:00 pm

Dollhouse project

heywooood

Postby heywooood » Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:08 pm

some interior pics

this may not be everyone's cuppa joe but it is a very demanding and detailed undertaking. My 12yo granddaughter is doing all of the interior design - her idea to add the
beam ceilings, she mixed and painted the colors in the rooms and selected the wallpapers - she's using the money she earns housesitting in her neighborhood to buy the materials and furniture.
It's really fun just working with her and seeing how she goes about it. She's very selective and careful with costs and quality. I can't see that I would know this side of her without doing this project with her.
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:11 pm

looking at these images you can see there is still a lot of work to do - flooring, base molding, crown molding, window and door frames - windows and doors to fabricate, staircases and balcony railings, roofing and lighting.
I'll post more progress shots here as time goes on if folks want to see it.
heywooood

Postby Scott » Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:13 am

Great work Heywood,I'll be following along on any progress pics you post in the future.

I'm impressed by your granddaughter's creativity and attention to detail.The fact that
she's using money she earned to buy the materials & furniture is impressive too.
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Postby Ray Klein » Sun Sep 08, 2024 11:42 am

very nice. Doesn't look like any P47 I've ever seen. I think though with a big enough motor and prop it will get off the ground and maybe fly a short distance,,, lol!
Ray Klein

Postby heywooood » Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:22 pm

I'm only worried about the Center of Gravity - I could just nail all the furniture down though
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Sat Sep 14, 2024 1:29 pm

little update on the house project -
heywooood

Previous

Return to General Building Questions