Building/Flying Kit 904 Skyraider

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Building/Flying Kit 904 Skyraider

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:47 am

Wow Thanks for posting David! That is a much better picture than the one on the box. Honestly I didn't really know what a Skyraider really looked like till I saw your model. Well done indeed!
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 am

Some good comments there David. While we hear a lot of interesting comments about Guillows wood, my experience with Dumas kits was that the wood was light, but some of it was low quality light sheet cut extremely off grain, with stringers so weak that you could hold a stringer's ends with both hands and break the center by blowing at it. I've seen errors even with CAD drawn plans. While folks note that Guillows die-cut parts are not exactly CAD-Laser cut accurate, I haven't seen grave design errors. I've come across some CAD designs with things such as wing LEs that cannot possibly be attached to the wing formers and wingtip formers as shown, without severely distorting the wingtip area.

That is a nice looking plane David. My LHS has the kits, and I've been tempted a number of times. Gotta love planes with flat surfaces, since you can get away with only planking the curved areas and still remain reasonably light, while not looking like covered framework on a sheet metal skinned plane.

The Guillows Skyraider has potential to be a good looking scale plane, with some modification to the nose area. I built one years ago, and have thought of building another for micro rc. For rubber power, a bit of added weight in the nose area would likely be needed anyway, so why not have it as scale detail versus ballast. I just noticed the old White17 Guillows FW190 in the photo, before adding ailerons to the wing. It actually flew about 5 times that way as an rc plane, but had to be flown very carefully.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:06 pm

I finished my Skyraider. Super nice day today so I'm moving right to trim flights. Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
WIDDOG

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:03 pm

Nice job. Looks like you should have a good flyer there also.
Bill Gaylord

Postby WIDDOG » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:46 pm

I thank everyone especially Howard for the great advice. This is a very challenging hobby. Not only am I my flying clubs president I'm also it's only member. It would take me forever to learn half this stuff without this great forum. BTW I'm not done learning by a longshot but I am getting better.

Super nice day I got in some trim flights. Video is with 6 inch PP prop and 1 loop or 2 strands of 1/8' x 1.25 length. I think with the shim permanently glued in place and a longer braided motor this kit, I hope will fly well.

http://youtu.be/1luZjh78oCE
WIDDOG

Postby Wildpig » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Really sharp looking model. Thanks for the video, nice to see these models in action.

Looks like a decent flyer. 8)
Wildpig

Postby duk774 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:25 pm

Really a nice job there, buddy! I haven't worked on the Fokker for a few days. Waiting for my new glasses that were supposed to be ready a week ago :x
I'd like to know when you really put her through the flight tests. Video it for us.
Happy Flying
Bill
duk774

Postby duk774 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:27 pm

I just watched the video. Really nice job.
Bill
duk774

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:43 am

Thanks Gentlemen. I'm going for better flights today. The 900 Series made it through trim flying with no damage. Needless to say I am very happy with these kits. My next build will be kit 906 Typhoon. I watched this video http://youtu.be/KqkX96anx-Q and decided to get into the habit of using a Blast Tube. I'm going with max winds today (Don Ross book) 97 per inch. I hopefully will get good video, with the Hat Cam.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:27 am

Well 1/8 inch X 1.50 length motor looks good to move up to X 2 length motor. http://youtu.be/A3Me2MAIi2g
WIDDOG

Postby Phugoid » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:16 am

A very nice result, great flight.

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby paul » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:42 am

WIDDOG wrote: This is a very challenging hobby. Not only am I my flying clubs president I'm also it's only member. It would take me forever to learn half this stuff without this great forum. BTW I'm not done learning by a longshot but I am getting better.

Same here WIDDOG, I would have given up a year ago if not for these guys and the forum
You really got something to be proud of there

Paul
paul

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Thanks Paul! It feels great to be apart of Team Guillow's. Oh yea I give credit to the great line up of 900 series kits as well.
WIDDOG

Postby WIDDOG » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:10 pm

Motor length x 2 video wow what a difference. http://youtu.be/qdx6mxQQ-fU
WIDDOG

Postby 1778ppr » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:31 pm

This is a great thread WIDDOG. Your Sky Raider came out great. I am working up to get mine to look that nice and fly that nice. You said you used contest balsa, and purchased tissue. The prop is a 6 inch Peck Polymers replacement also. Can you recap what you used to build the kit and any mods? What was your covering technique? Also, any trimming advice? How much does your plane weigh? Where did you purchase your materials? Can you post pictures of you rubber motor? The motor is 1/8 inch 1.5 times the prop hook to fuse peg length 2 loops, is that correct? What rubber did you use (manufacture/vendor)? I know some of this is in the thread. It would be nice to have it all in one place.
Thanks for posting,
John
1778ppr

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions