Guillows fly or hanger queen

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

do you build for static or to fly?

static
25%
fly
36%
both
39%

Total votes : 64

Re: Guillows fly or hanger queen

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:54 am

I like challenges and I like the 500 series kits as well. I admit that I’m no expert when it comes to the 500 series. You can say I kind of learned about wood weight the hard way. I thought Balsa wood was Balsa wood. Anyway after reading about the importance of wood weight I decided to at least try to lighten a 500 series kit. I found out that cutting out all the parts really is not that bad. There really is not that many pieces to a 500 series kit. I now use three different weights of Balsa wood on my models. Now I buy my 500 series models as separate Parts. I only buy the plans, plastic parts and decals.

I found that it is helpful to have a “Lancer” kit with me when I go to the park to fly. People always want to see some flying. I than fly/show them the “Lancer” flying and explain that I am “Trimming” the 500 series kit.
Anyway I am getting better at each attempt I make. I am also having a lot of fun. I am thinking about starting a Topic… “ Anything about 500 Series Kits.”

[img][IMG]http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5862/twist002.jpg[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

I used Too Light a wood and it just twisted apart.
WIDDOG

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:06 pm

WIDDOG wrote:...
[img/]Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

I used Too Light a wood and it just twisted apart.

I have to ask, how much rubber did you have in that one?
kittyfritters

Postby Steve Blanchard » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:41 pm

Everyone,

I too am not bashing Guillows models. I build them and fly them. I have done well in contests with a couple designs. Where I agree that some series are good scale representations there are some that are lacking and I believe this is by design for better flight and ease of building. I remarked based on Bill's comments because I believed he was commenting on the comments of so called free flight expert. I guess I assumed it was for rubber power but I could be wrong. If so, then I apologize. Now, if it was based on rubber power then I have to say there is some merit in the complaint. A lot of those who have given up on them for rubber power are not aware of them being done as laser cut with better wood, although 8 to 12lb is still not contest grade (which is where I was speaking from) it is still a vast improvement. I myself find many of the designs irresistible and I love to buy, collect, and sometimes build them. I have been a big proponent for them in my local squadron of the FAC and there are even more people who are doing the same. But in all cases these people usually change something. To defend Guillows on this matter, there has not been a plan or kit that I have not changed for my particular building style or to be what I want them to be. So, it has nothing to do with the fact that it is Guillows that I change it. Everybody has a right to dismiss any product as worthless. Those who have "been there and done that" have also earned a right to be heard and considered. But after all of the hearing and considering the only thing that matters is what you personally like. After all, I think that sports cars of every kind are a God awful waste of time and money and I do believe there are millions that would disagree with me. I'm OK with that.

Thanks,

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Hello Kittyfritters,

I had been using this model to test different size rubber motors. The 3/16 x four strands braided motor caused most of the damage. Anyway from now on I will only be using 1/8" inch x four strands braided motor for all my future 500 series kits. Because, this was the size rubber that worked the best for me… I am still very "Green" when it comes to which wood to use. All is what I meant to say was that using ones own wood choice is kind of a hobby in it's self. About three years ago I thought I knew everything I have since than changed my attitude.
WIDDOG

Postby Grabber » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:25 pm

freefall,

Please check out my post on the 905 Mustang, and you will see the joy and excitment of being able to fly a Guillows model kit. I would highly recomend this kit as a first time flyer.
Grabber
Grabber

Postby Mitch » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:27 pm

Hey guys... just bought some old Guillow plans on ebay for the Spitfire 26 ws... just a bit more than current 400 series at 24-5/8... I will see if its close enough for 400 parts to fit or I'll scale it down a touch.

I'll build it then can compare OLD to NEW Guillows :D

I say "Build what you LOVE, Fly ALL you CAN, and get BETTER with every NEW BUILD!"

This is my current Spit... she flew but not too well and weights in at a very heavy 119g

I think Guillow kits are a good BANG for the BUCK... might not be the best at everything, but that's okay with me...

Mitch

PS the plans were 7.00 and more are available... says it is a lighter version... has 4 pics of the plans... check it out :D

UPDATE: Just did the math and I will expect to scale the plans down to 95%...Don't want to use the NEW (OLD) plans to build the model anyway...
NEW UPDATE: The 400 Spit is 27-5/8"ws... that's 106% So I will scale up... I will check when I get plans and scale them to the current 400 series to use the plastic parts from the CURRENT kit to finish the model... :D
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:48 pm

Hey Guys just got my new (1940) Guillows plan for the Spitfire...
YES the new lazer kit would be eaiser...
YES It has a 24 in ws so I will scale it to the 400 series
YES It may not be for everyone...
BUT... I think this plan was designed to FLY!

My 400 series Spit is very heavy and I am interested to se how this plane will weigh in... I expect to use some plastic parts from the new series...

I see 3 specific things that are quite different.
1. Different cord shape
2. Less ribs
3. Different fuselage construction

After WESTFAC and the knowledge I gain I plan to build new better planes for the next event.

Mitch :D
Mitch

Postby Steve Blanchard » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:58 am

Hey Mitch great find!

YES it will be a slightly bigger build
YES it will be lighter
YES it will fly better

There are definitely things you will want to change before you start. You have been building and updating so much that for sure you will be able make adjustments for better flight and weight. I commend you for all of your efforts to date and the fact that you are going to West FAC with the hopes to learn. I believe you will eventually be a force to be reckoned with in the FAC.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Mitch » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:35 pm

Thanks Steve...

I was confused as to the ws of the 400 Spit as the catalog has one number and the plans are another... whatever... I will scale it to 1/16 (400 Series)

I plan to build 2 new Spits, with 2 new camos. I will build them side by side, One from lazer kit (modified) and one off these plans (modified)

Thanks to everyone for help and support! :D Mitch
Mitch

Postby Mitch » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:09 am

Are you talking to me?

Yes I plan to add fillets, they are required on the PPCL (Pre Pilot Check List) The reason I did not add them is because I figured I need to also add the wing to fuselage flair and I just did not want to do that. I did not expect my models to last this long. I drew a few lines with a sharpie on my 109, I do not like it but it is required. I was looking for stripping tape but my LHS does not have any. I have some at my Dad's house in PHX and will get some more when I visit. Maybe my next gen of WW2 plans will be painted?

I have also never been to a scale model aircraft meet. I never even flew with anyone else. I tried to get my friends to build when I was 10 y.o. and that never happened either. I only got real flight results last spring, and want to improve on that. I don't think I would have gotten this far without you guys here.

I don't expect to win anything. I just want to learn and see how they judge, and get better at flying... then share my experience here.

It may seem like a long way to go to fly a few Rubber band planes, but I am visiting some of my shipmates along the way, then stay with my Dad in PHX before I head home.

I just got my AMA card in the mail yesterday, and waiting for a few more supplies (new props, etc.) I ordered for my "Field Kit".

I will list my planned Flight list before I leave...

Mitch

Postby Steve Blanchard » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:46 am

Mitch,

I know you are one to save cost on your models, and so you don't have to buy striping tape, an age old tradition that works really well for control surfaces is to take black, or gray, or dark green tissue (color depends on the model itself) and cut it into thin strips. Then you can either do what I like to do and use glue stick on the back of the strips and then stick 'em in place or if you use dope to seal your models you can simply put some super thin nitrate dope in the area and place the strips that way. Some people even put the tissue in a frame, paint it, and do markings before they put it onto the model. You can inkjet print the markings onto the tissue before you apply it as well. It's up to you and there as many ways to do it as there are modelers. I think your gonna get a whole lot of great info when you go to the West FAC meet. Good luck! I can't wait to hear how you like it.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Mitch » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks Steve...et al...

I think I you are right. I just don't like the look of the sharpie line on my colored paper... I do some testing today. Plan to do some detail work on my 109 and SE5a today and will post results on their respective topics... Both these models are the closest to being ready to meet contest minimum standards!

Mitch

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:16 pm

David Duckett wrote:I've never been to a scale flying meet but if true scale is important I suggest you add some detail to your models, such as the control surfaces. Adding them is easy with a Sharpie and a ruler and they certainly add to the scale look.

I also noticed that you have left the wing filets off the Spitfire and 109 and since they are such distinctive parts of the design, will that detract from the score?

Good luck.
Definitely two of the areas I need to work on. Even with functional control surfaces, some panel lining can really set a model off, such as doors and access panels. It's one of those things that takes practice to get the right balance. I started adding wing fillets on planes with highly distinctive fillets on my more recent models. Looking at some of my older models where they were omitted, such as my Guillows Spitfire, they honestly look like cheap ARFs without them.
Bill Gaylord

Postby scigs30 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:41 pm

I agree with Howard that the new wood quality for the laser cut kits makes flying these birds possible. I have a great idea. Since Guillows sells individual parts why not have the option to purchase laser cut wood for the 500series?
scigs30

Postby Bill Gaylord » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:37 pm

scigs30 wrote:I agree with Howard that the new wood quality for the laser cut kits makes flying these birds possible. I have a great idea. Since Guillows sells individual parts why not have the option to purchase laser cut wood for the 500series?

Is Guillows planning to redesign the 500 series kits as laser cut kits?

I've never built one of the newer 400 series laser cut kits, and assume that they had to remodel the kit in CAD to ensure perfect parts fit, versus simply "tracing" parts. I imagine they actually did that, but have never heard any comments to confirm it. I also have not heard about how closely the parts match the original kit, since there's a some discrepancy involved in trying to meet both objectives. I would imagine that the LC redesigned kits are designed for both perfect parts fit, and to match the original die-cut parts as closely as possible. Apparently they've done a good job with the kits converted so far, but there's definitely a good bit of work involved in converting each kit. It will be interesting to see what they do in the future.
Bill Gaylord

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions