Guillow's 905 Mustang

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillow's 905 Mustang

Postby Grabber » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:43 am

WOW, what fun I had today with this plane! We had great weather today so the Mustang got it 's first flight in today. What a thrill it was to get a plane that I built to fly! ( and fly w/o nose diving into the ground and shattering, a feat that I was never able to master as a young builder but with the info from this forum and others it was a success ) I know that the folks that are real free flight pros would not be that impressed with 30 second flights. The Mustang however was a great thrill to me! It flew great and was a lot of fun. It even caught some breezes and went for a real nerve crunching long distance. Hate to loose a plane when you don't even have the decals on it yet. Did have a rubber motor failure and was glad to not have had the decals applied. Now I know why blast tubes are used. All repairs were completed and decals applied tonight. After some problems with the thrust angle after the rubber motor replacement, the Mustang was back in the sky. Made the landing gear removable and some other small changes like using 1/8" aluminum tubing for the motor peg as well as using a Peck Polymers prop and 3/16" Peck rubber , even used Hobby Lobby silver tissue to cover and I'm sure this is heavier than the kit tissue. I do think that this plane would fly with the supplied prop and rubber, and perform quite well ! I,m tempted to try it with the factory rubber and prop and see how it fairs. Having said that this kit would be a great first build for folks being that it flies great and is a good value at under $15.00 . This kit should be promoted as a great starter plane, as I believe once folks built and flew this plane they would not be able to stop building and flying these planes. I, looking forward to building the 900 series Typhoon but will have to look around for it or order off web site since it is not stocked at the local Hobby Lobby. I have heard it is a great flying plane as well. Very pleased with the results and I'm glad to get back into building these planes after a 35 year break!

Grabber
Grabber

Re: Guillow's 905 Mustang

Postby Wildpig » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:43 am

Grabber wrote:WOW, what fun I had today with this plane! ........ It flew great and was a lot of fun......... looking forward to building the 900 series Typhoon.......Very pleased with the results and I'm glad to get back into building these planes after a 35 year break!

Grabber

Oustanding!!
Really glad you had fun, successful flights.

Grabber wrote: I know that the folks that are real free flight pros would not be that impressed with 30 second flights. The Mustang however was a great thrill to me!

That's what really counts. 30 seconds from a stock kit (except prop) is not too shabby at all.
Wildpig

Postby Grabber » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:24 am

Thanks for the reply Wildpig, I can,t wait to start flying the Mustang again but poor (rainy) weather and work that needs tending to will probably leave me hanging!
Grabber
Grabber

Postby Phugoid » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Nothing shabby about a 30s flight, that's a good 'un in my book.

Congratulations,

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby Grabber » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Have found out how to add pictures. So iI thought it would be a good idea to add them to this post.

Grabber
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grabber

Postby Grabber » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:43 pm

Here is another one.

Grabber
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grabber

Return to General Building Questions