Cessna 180 Group Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Cessna 180 Group Build

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:49 am

Looks fantastic Cutter!

I can't wait to hear how the test flight goes!

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby Phugoid » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:32 pm

Nice work Cutter, super job.

I have a wing covered and will post some more pics etc this weekend. It's all moving a bit slower than I intended, life just keeps getting in the way!

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby cutter » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks for the compliments. Pictures hide a lot of flaws.
I have very much enjoyed this group build.

Adam
cutter

Postby Mitch » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:13 am

Hi Guys,

I just posted on "Had an Idea" looks like this group build is over but I plan to make a 180 as my next kit. I will read along the posts as I do my own build, and let you know how it comes out. I always want my models to fly AND look good. I am sure I will find you posts helpful and post a few of my own.

Thanks, Mitch
Mitch

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:20 am

Mitch wrote:Hi Guys,

I just posted on "Had an Idea" looks like this group build is over but I plan to make a 180 as my next kit. I will read along the posts as I do my own build, and let you know how it comes out. I always want my models to fly AND look good. I am sure I will find you posts helpful and post a few of my own.

Thanks, Mitch

Hi Mitch

Its still very much going...Phugoid has put some cracking information on here and is about to, I think, post about covering the wings and finishing the model so there is still time to get on it.

I've found the whole thing great fun and I still need to add the decals, nose cone and balance it before the maiden test flight.

I'm waiting for Phugoid so that I make sure his nose cone method is done right (I'm not rushing you Andrew - I'm busy myself and with buying/sorting bits out for my new arrival it doesn't leave much time for planes).

Looking forward to seeing your model Mitch. I really like seeing the build pics.

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby Phugoid » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:40 am

Hi Mitch,

Tom is correct, there is still a long way to go and there is no reason that you should not be able to catch up as I am building very slowly due to the time it takes to write it all up........So.......hop on board!

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:49 am

Phugoid wrote:Hi Mitch,

Tom is correct, there is still a long way to go and there is no reason that you should not be able to catch up as I am building very slowly due to the time it takes to write it all up........So.......hop on board!

Andrew

Andrew a question for you if you don't mind?

What work board to you use? I see that you use weights or are they magnets?

the reason I ask is that I'm using a notice board and I think it is no longer as flat as it should be so I'm looking to invest in a suitable alternative to avoid having banana planes.

I like using pins but I have read a lot of people using magnets and getting good results so I thought I would check with you.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby Phugoid » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:43 pm

I just used a piece of soft pine. I got it from B&Q, I just looked for a piece that was very soft and didn't have knots in it.

The weights are actually some lumps of mild steel. They are parts from a machine I designed but were scrap as they were out of tolerance. I am lucky in that respect, I can get all manner of off cuts of Engineering materials.

I've never used a magnetic board, I suppose I'm just stuck in my ways, I do reccomend the pins with the collars though, they are very good. Of course they come from SAMS!

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby Mitch » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:38 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the welcome, just got back from Staples as I was out of White glue and glue sticks. Used them all up last few months. Also got some 5 min. epoxy as I will use this to attach landing gear on model that needs finishing. (Dumas "Storch") That was the last model I was working on aboard ship. My first was SE5a, that also needs finishing. I need to mount the top Lewis gun, I re-worked the kit parts, also added the Vickers gun in the fuse. I expect these projects will be completed next week.

Now I have chores to do.

One question. I have a letter scale, but it reads in oz., should I get a scale that reads in grams?

Mitch

PS I will try to post pics next week of my SE5a, also need to see if she will "Take Off" I do not want to hand launch, I want her to fly but she will be for display after her "Test Flight". I will put that on a seperate posting.
Mitch

Postby wingnut » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:13 am

for what it's worth I'm just now starting mine. I decided to finish my stuka first and then with the thanksgiving holiday and all...well, here we are. But I build slow...so don't expect miracles... :lol:
not your average nut.
wingnut

Postby Phugoid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:03 pm

The wings,

Last time I did the super cub I was less apprehensive about covering the wings. However I used my favourite “Esaki” tissue which is a lot stronger, lighter and shrinks more that the tissue in the kits so the results were good even with the quite tall wing section. Writing this retrospectively the results I got with the kit tissue aren’t that bad, and certainly flyable, but given the choice I would prefer the Esaki tissue any day, but I was (and am) committed to using what is provided in the kit. The kit tissue really does remind me of the stuff I got in the Keil Kraft kits I built as a kid!

I am going to cover the wings in 3 main pieces and two little pieces for the wing tips. This is pretty well much what it calls up for on the plan, which is a piece for the whole underside (as it is flat) and then on top a piece running from the root rib to F2, then a piece from F2 to F5, the two very small pieces for the very tips.

Cut the pieces out using the plan as a guide (this is useful to ensure you don’t run out of tissue) you should make sure that the pieces are ½ at least bigger than the piece you’ll need, the excess will be trimmed off.

Apply sanding sealer (or whatever your choice is) to the places where we will stick the tissue to, ie the entire bottom of the wing outline (the wing tip piece E2 the leading and trailing edges and the root rib). Then on the top of F5, F2 and the root rib plus the edges of the leading and trailing edges and any corner gussets. As we did with the tailplane and fin carefully sand until everything is nice and smooth. Remember we will only attach the tissue as these positions not to every rib.

The first (and easy bit) is to cover the bottom of the wing using the same method as the tailplane and fin. Coat the bottom surfaces (as we did with the fin etc) with thinned white glue, then plonk it down onto the piece of tissue which is held down by weights. Carefully smooth off tissue.
Last edited by Phugoid on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Alex asked before how much white glue I used. So here is a picture showing it. I probably use too much, but it tends to look a lot in any case, as it sits on the surface of the wood, rather than soaking in - due to the sanding sealer.
Last edited by Phugoid on Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Wait for a few minutes for the glue to dry, then trim it flush with the edges with a razor, there is no need to fold the tissue over the edge as we did with the fin and tailplane as the top pieces will be attached to the edges.
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:05 pm

Here is a shot from the top:
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:05 pm

N
Last edited by Phugoid on Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phugoid

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions