Cessna 180 Group Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Cessna 180 Group Build

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:49 pm

Phugoid wrote:Ok Tom, no problems as long as the subject stays on our type of models I'm happy to roll with it....

Andrew

Ok that's good to know I didn't want to annoy anyone with all my non cessna related comments.

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby ADW 123 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:56 pm

BassettsAllSorts wrote:Hi Andrew

Another great looking plane by the way...Where do you store all your completed planes??

He has lots of cabnets, places where Mrs. Phugoid wont mind/run into them. Looks good Phugoid.

The replies are really ramping up. We need a locked thread so it doesnt take 10 minutes to load the pictures and all.
ADW 123

Postby Phugoid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:58 am

I did ask for a locked thread but never got a response from Mark.

The photo's shouldn't take that long to load, they are tiny files (only 30-40K each) as I scale them down in paint before I post them, you can afford such low res for "on screen" due to the resolution of your monitor, but they would look awful printed.

I keep my models:

1) In the trash can (if I crash 'em)

2) On some shelves in my box room (where I work) - there are probably 20 there at the moment

3) In my kid's room's

4) Give them away

Andrew
Phugoid

Re: Cessna 180 Group Build Page 11

Postby granpa » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:24 am

I am having trouble making the template. My setting edge comes out square. Could you send a picture of your template against a flat line that would indicate the degree of angel. Thanks...Dennis
granpa
granpa

Postby Phugoid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:26 am

Hi Dennis,

I've annotated this previous picture for you, I hope all becomes a bit clearer.

Andrew
Phugoid

Re: Cessna 180 Group Build page 11

Postby granpa » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:55 pm

Thank you very much! I of course was was using the base line. Thank God there was no math involved, that would be way too much for this old think tank to fathom.
granpa
granpa

Postby Phugoid » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:08 pm

ok no problem.

In this country we used to have a two tier education system to get a degree....

If you were bright but not that bright you went to a polytechnic, if you were just plain bright you went to a university. Well I went to the former. Whilst my friends at university did the maths on the chalkboard and did all of that formal stuff, we made things, we experimented and we worked stuff out using pencils and sqaured paper rather than integrating equations......

BUT

......We still got the same answer!

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:18 am

Hi guys

I'm on a tea break so I thought I would post an update.

Well I have covered, shrunk and doped the plane and I thought I would upload some pictures.

The covering went well but after shrinking I still had some wrinkles around the leading edge of the wing but they are better than my last build so I'm pleased to be seeing improvement with each attempt. I am definitely going to try the 50/50 PVA water mix on my next build to see if I have better results. The blue tissue that I bought was cheap and I will not be using it again but it was the best I could find.

I have a feeling that this one will not fly but, fingers crossed, I might get a result.

Covering pics

After water shrinkage

After doping

The clear light shows the wrinkles more but as I said it is better than my last build so I'll take that.

Right back to work

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby Xanadu » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:23 am

So many people I have met whom could "tell you" how to do something, but when it came time for them to do it themselves, they could not.
Both equations of "education" have their pros and cons.

I came from the old school of learning by doing, not learning by book how to do it. Don't get me wrong, getting a formal education is a great thing, just that sometimes learning the other way has its merits and should never be looked down on.

Phugoid wrote:ok no problem.

In this country we used to have a two tier education system to get a degree....

If you were bright but not that bright you went to a polytechnic, if you were just plain bright you went to a university. Well I went to the former. Whilst my friends at university did the maths on the chalkboard and did all of that formal stuff, we made things, we experimented and we worked stuff out using pencils and sqaured paper rather than integrating equations......

BUT

......We still got the same answer!

Andrew
Xanadu

Postby Phugoid » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:40 am

I agree Xanadu, like I said, different ways, same outcome - a mix of "types" is often very good too. I have three young mechanical engineers that work for me, one is the do-er, one is bookish, and one is between the two. BUT they make a super team together.

For me the Polytechnic route was the perfect mix of practical and the acedemic as I was not very acedemically inclined as I had learning difficulties at an early age, (I was nearly 8 before I could even begin to read or write). The system no longer operates the way it did, and it's a real shame as it was good for folks like me.

Anyway, enough philosophy about education! Back to the aeroplanes!

Tom your model looks great, what makes you think it won't fly? I've said it before, but will say it again, the odd wrinkle here and there won't stop ones of these little things from flying - have faith!

I'll post some more later today as I've covered my Fin and Tailplane.....

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:47 am

Hi Andrew

Its not the wrinkles - I'm really pleased that its better than last time. I can definitely see the improvement which shows I'm slowly getting better with each build. Rome wasn't built in a day.

I just seem to have a feeling that it will not be up to the job...Call it a hunch! I certainly hope that I will be proved wrong!

I'll go about finishing off the model in the next few days and try to master the dreaded windscreen again.

Thanks for the comments. Looking forward to finding out the next stage on the nose cone!

Tom

:D
BassettsAllSorts

Postby Phugoid » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:43 pm

It won't belong before I get to the nose, you are setting quite a pace Tom!

It is Mrs Phugoid's birthday today, so I have to back off building for one day at least! :D

I reckon you can pretty much figure out what I'm going to do, but all will become clear once I've covered the wings....

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:43 pm

Phugoid wrote:It won't belong before I get to the nose, you are setting quite a pace Tom!

It is Mrs Phugoid's birthday today, so I have to back off building for one day at least! :D

I reckon you can pretty much figure out what I'm going to do, but all will become clear once I've covered the wings....

Andrew

Well you certainly wouldn't get away with building your plane on the Mrs' birthday :D If I did that I could well find my plane in many bits or stuffed down the toilet. I could also find myself divorced!

Well by me setting such a pace I have noticed an error I am suffering from slight banana fuselage. When I put the plane together it became obvious. The stab and rubber was straight after the doping so its the only reason that I can think of.

Oh well what can you do. I've got to say apart from that I'm pleased with how it looks. I think I'm improving all the time (besides the lop sided bit)!

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:04 pm

Here is a better shot of the problem

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby StefanJ » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:51 pm

I hope someone shows some examples of tissuing their 180.

I know there are demonstrations in other threads, but a complete & canonical box-to-field tutorial would be cool.
StefanJ

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions