Cessna 180 Group Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Cessna 180 Group Build

Postby Phugoid » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:03 pm

This results in a single vertical grain piece:
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:05 pm

Place the plastic nosecone over the piece with the grain running vertically, trace the shape onto the piece using a pencil:
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:06 pm

Cut round the outside of the pencil marks, if anything making it slightly bigger. Repeat with the horizontal grained piece, then laminate the two pieces together, the grain should be 90 degrees apart for the two pieces If you are using white glue then you can “double glue” for added strength. Carefully clamp or put weights on top of the two pieces so that they are kept flat. Wait until the glue has dried.
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Using the plastic piece held centrally as a guide mark the position of the centre hole, then cut it out.
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Using some sandpaper round a brush handle or similar cylindrical object carefully open up the hole (not loosing it’s centre location) until......
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:08 pm

The prop bush is a nice snug fit in the hole.
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:08 pm

Sand the outer profile so that it fits snug into the cut out in the plastic nose piece, DO NOT glue it in place!
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:09 pm

Set the parts aside for now.......Next for the dreaded final finishing and covering!!!!!!!!
Phugoid

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:17 am

Hi Andrew

Thank you very much for the information on the nose cone. I did that last night and look forward to finding out what to do next with it.

I have pretty much covered the plane now, I did it last night. I finally managed to pick up some blue tissue although it is not the best but I am going to make do with it.

I thought I would give the glue stick another go for covering and I'm reasonably happy with the result. On my next build I'm going to try the PVA glue method that you and Scigs use. I like the idea of glueing sections tight and then sticking the remaining tissue down. I just like the ease of the gluestick so I thought I would give it another go.

I think I am getting better at covering with every build and your information certainly helps.

Just one thing does that shop where you buy your balsa from post stuff out? I can't seem to find any decent balsa anywhere near me and I fancy a scratch build after I have built my two 500 series planes.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby Phugoid » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:03 am

The shop is called "The Tutbury Jenny" and is in the village of Tutbury Derbyshire. He sells mainly model trains, I suspect some of the wood has been there a while!

I go there because I can hand select the wood I buy, he probably won't do that as I'm not sure how much he knows about it, you could phone and ask him I suppose.

To be honest I would reccomend buying from SAMS if you are going to have to pay mailing costs anyhow as they tend to select a variety of weights in the pack. Wood selection is important, knowing where to use the hard stuff, and light stuff means the strongest and lightest structure. Sams also sell packs of 1/16" strips which save time stripping them yourself....

I've never had much luck with glue sticks, It always tends to put too much on and it "gathers" round joints also adding weight - that said it's probably just me being messy!

If you are going to do a scratch build then you could do worse than doing the Comper Swift on Mike Stuarts Website, it's a really good flier.
Phugoid

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks for that.

I think I'll go with SAMS because I'm building up a list of things I need so the postage is worthwhile.

I have a feeling a scratch build will really test me but could well be an absolute disaster! I was thinking of building a FROG Raven as I just like the look of them but Mike Stewart's plane looks amazing. Did you paint it too because the finish looks superb. That is something that I will have to begin looking at some point.

Ultimately I would like to get into the RC planes. I'm going to look into buying a beginner remote control high wing plane at some point soon (The RCgroup forum seems to have loads of information) and hopefully one day convert a guillow's war bird to RC. Well I'll keep on dreaming anyway :oops:

For know just building these planes and honing some skills is enough for me.

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby Phugoid » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:41 am

The Redwing is one of the better FROG "senior series" models. Despite the chunky sections used mine flies for a minute or so, they are really nice designs.

Andrew
Phugoid

Postby Phugoid » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:42 am

....and yes I did paint the Comper, with enamels thinned with cellulose thinners...
Phugoid

Postby BassettsAllSorts » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:10 am

Hi Andrew

I'll go with the Comper Swift I think. I took a look at Mike Stuart's build tutorial and it looks good so I'll probably roll with that. I'll be able to get some tips if I get stuck.

Another great looking plane by the way...Where do you store all your completed planes??

Anyway I'll get back to the build comments as this is after all the 180 section. I should have some more pictures soon.

Thanks for the advice.

Tom
BassettsAllSorts

Postby Phugoid » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Ok Tom, no problems as long as the subject stays on our type of models I'm happy to roll with it....

Andrew
Phugoid

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions