Another Cessna 180

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Postby Phugoid » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:26 am

Thanks David, did you bump these in support of the idea to get some interest up and to show what model I meant?

Or

Are you saying "enough already?"

Andrew
Phugoid

Rubber

Postby yellowlynn » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:22 pm

I guess this is as good a place to throw this in as any. On the rubber used in these models I have enough information to sound stupid. I never knew before about lubing the rubber. Do you just put oil on a rag and pull the rubber thru it? Also, I have surmised that all rubber comes in the same thickness, and you just go by the width. What width is right for this Cessna 180. I have just finished it, but have kit rubber in it. It flies straight out for 25-30 feet and runs out of gas. Another entry said they use 1.25 the length. Does the prop pull all the time before flopping out?

I don't reckon I'm stoopid, just ignerrnt. All this is new to me from when I was a kid.

Lynn
yellowlynn

Postby ADW 123 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:42 pm

i used 1/8 " rubber 1.25 times hook to peg length, and it flew great.

yellowlynn, the only way (well not only way, but fastest way) you are going to advance in this hobby is to post your builds here so we can see what you are doing. then, with the help/support of everyone here, we can get your planes up in the air. soon, youll be an expert.
ADW 123

Postby Phugoid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:18 am

Hi Lynn,

The easiest thing to obtain and use is castor oil, just put a few drops in a plastic bag, drop the rubber in and give it all a good rub.

If you are going to use longer rubber you'll need a winder.......

Although you won't be building along on the Cessna 180 Group Build, just "hop on" later on I'll make sure these things are covered.

Andrew
Phugoid

rubber

Postby yellowlynn » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:43 pm

OK, that has filled in a few holes in my mind. Now, I have one
other triviality. Do you glue the thrust button on place? Or let
the prop start dangling when it runs out?

Lynn
yellowlynn

Postby yellowlynn » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:43 pm

ADW123 I agree wholeheartedly that posting pics would help a lot. I won't go into details, but here's why I don't (can't) post. After 5 heart attacks, plus bunches of other stuf, memory is shot to pot, shake bad enough that getting a piece glued in place takes 5-6 tries, and sanding always breaks a couple stringers. So when I finish, it looks like it is, a real patch job.

I do have lots of enjoyment building, even tho it doesn't end up like much.
Please tolerate some of my foolish questions. Some are for my information, and some are to help me keep up with understanding what you all do. I get a lot of pleasure just lurking.

Thanks
Lynn
yellowlynn

Previous

Return to General Building Questions