Question about Modifications to kits.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Question about Modifications to kits.

Postby joecrouse » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:12 am

In the plastic kit world there is a hobby known as kit bashing.
Taking say a new set of wings and a canopy and gluing them onto a good fuselage blending together different kits to create a varriant of a plane that is not found in kit form. For Instance the F-16xl.

I know we have all used the Ruffe kit to build a Zero (because lets face it those floats are a pain to build) but, has anyone here ever, for instance:

Extended the nose on the Fw 190 to make a Fw 190 "Dora"

Used the P-51 canopy after trimming down the fuselage to accomodate the bubble canopy and cliped the wings of the to create a late model Spitfire?

Modified the 400 series Mustang to go from a Mustang B to a Mustang D. Or even Bashed two P51s scratchbuilt a center wing and tail structure to make a P-82 twin mustang?

What about scaling up the plans and extending the wings for the B29 kit to make a B36 (kind of HUGE but an interesting idea no?) or enlarging the tail and extending the fuselage of the 29 to make a B-50 or slightly modifying the nose and tail to make a the Russian copy of the b 29. Illushyin something or other.
joecrouse

Kitbashing

Postby rayd » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:52 am

Hey joecrouse...I've been kitbashing for decades. Hmm...at times, my creation looked far different than that intended on kit box art, so it was already...hmm...new term maybe kit smashed?

Lots of guys do this many times, those I know anyway....maybe it's just part of certain hobbies, this one, don't matter...plastic, balsa, and other hobbies, esp. eg model railroading, car models, etc.

Gee, it happens in real life...a house, a store, a church, whatever gets used for a day care center, a doctor's storefront medicenter, an entertainment center, whatever.

I had eg a Guillows Mitsubishi Zero long ago. It's nose was shor to me, needed lots of clay to balance it. I improvised. Lengthened nose with balsa. It changed CG, less clay weight up front...a bit more balsa used but better for me if I wanted to fly, but it didn't look like real Zero anymore, well some did...so, more improv work...just did not use decals, made it look more like a sport plane, but it could've likely passed for some other warbird. Maybe lots of guys do this, especially if/when we goof somewhere, or just on a whim sometime.

If you're entering some contest thing, yes it indeed matters, but for your own fun, enjoyment, if you want to kitbash, go ahead...enjoy.
rayd

Postby BillParker » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:51 pm

Does this count?

Kit 1001
Republic P-47D Thunderbolt

Bashed/Smashed:

P-47N "Super" Thunderbolt Racer Plane

yeah?
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby SteveM » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:49 pm

I'm fairly certain "kit bashing" started with wood kits since they predate plastic kits.

Poppy's P-51B: http://www.virtualaerodrome.com/image_b ... ser_id=280
SteveM

Postby flash52 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:14 am

This is the 500 series P-40 turned into a P40N

[img]http://i1100.photobucket.com/albums/g410/flash522/500series007.jpg[/img]
flash52

Postby ADW 123 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:33 am

for flash:

dunno what you did wrong... try hitting the preview button before posting to ensure it works
ADW 123

Guillow 900 series T-28 modified to a T-28B

Postby supercruiser » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:47 am

T-28B Scratchbuilt nose and custom made canopy. Guillow 900 series
supercruiser

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:41 pm

What I really want to do sometime is make a P-51A or A-36 from the 900 series Mustang. The Allison engine powered "A" model is my favorite (it also seems to be the least respected of the Mustang family because of its less exceptional dogfighting ability, but what is overlooked is that is was a great ground-pounder!!)
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby Steve Blanchard » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Arlo,

You would be best off getting a plan made by someone such as Tom Nallen. This way you would have a much better chance at flight than any of the Guillow's models and it will be the correct plane to start out with.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Steve Blanchard » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Arlo, I have emailed you a plan I think may fit the bill. If not, there are several other designs. I myself prefer the Tom Nallen design and would increase it's size to around 22" WS. If I can find a copy of it that is already scanned I will send it as well.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:04 pm

thanks, got the plans. I also saw scigs' comet P-51 that he turned into an "A," gave me some ideas. Think it will be one of my next projects (although I have a lot of those lined up and less time than I would like to work on them!!)
Arlo DiPasquale

Return to General Building Questions