Nieuport II Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Nieuport II Build

Postby scigs30 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Just had knee surgery this last week so building has been slow. Before the surgery I was working on a Nieuport II that I designed for electric and have most of it built. Because of my knee, covering will have to wait a couple of weeks. So while I am waiting I decided to start on my Guillows Nieuport. I bought this kit some time ago and it came with heavy laser cut wood. This was not going to work for freeflight so I contacted Guillows and they sent out replacement wood that is the same quality that is in my Zero kit. The old wood will be used for a practice model. The laser cutting was great and all the parts lined up perfect. There was no need to adjust any of the notches except one on the bottom that is way off. Also Guillows missed one rib on the smaller wing when designing the parts, so I let them know and they will correct it. I saw a post earlier asking about laser cut kits, and this is a great example how great they really are and I think they are worth the money. They are easy to build and go together fast. As a matter of fact I built another top wing from the heavy laser cut wood and I had it done in 5 minutes using CA. You can also see how much cleaner a white glue build is compared to CA> Any way I built this per the plans with a couple of mods. The landing gear will use a bungee system to assist with landing and not break off when hitting the ground. The motor peg was moved one former forward, and the cowl is removable just in case I want to convert to electric. The build was constructed from Elmers white glue and needs a final sanding before covering. I still have to order tissue and some other building supplies. So far as shown it weighs 46 grams. The wing made with the original heavy wood came in at 18 grams, the replacement wing from Guillows came in at 11 grams. While I am waiting for the tissue to arrive, I will build this kit that a fellow club member gave me, it is a 13 inch Nieuport from Comet.
scigs30

Postby Squishyp38 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:06 am

good to hear about your successful surgery!
I hope the recovery happens fast so you can build more models!
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby jensheydel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Hey Scigs30,

Glad to hear you up and about !! :-) Seeing that Nieuport reminds me it is time to order one for myself. Afterall my Messerschmitt will not take all summer and I have to have at least two projects at all times to keep me smiling.

So I see a freeflighter AND an RC plane?? who makes that one? Both models look terrific, nice clean work on both.

Cheers, Jens
jensheydel

Postby scigs30 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:48 pm

The RC version is my design that I drew up and sent the plans to National balsa and they laser cut the parts for me. I also did this with a Fokker Dr.1 and this will probably be the last design from scratch I do. The rest of the WWI RC planes will be Peter Rake Kits and covered with Silkspan.
scigs30

Postby jensheydel » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:18 pm

That looks pretty good sciggs, do you sell those or ???

Cheers, Jens
jensheydel

Postby scigs30 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:45 pm

No I do not sell these, this was just a fun little project.
Well I don't have all the tissue to start covering and I don't have any medium silkspan to use on the practice wing but I do have silver Easy Built tissue to play with. Just for kicks this am I decided to cover the practice wing in silver EB tissue. Came out pretty good for a poor sanding job and fast covering job. Weight before covering was 18 grams and after tissue and 2 coats of dope, 21 grams, not bad. I really like this silver tissue and will use it on my Neiuport.
scigs30

Postby Supercubber95 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Classy!!! Awesome as usual!!! :D
Supercubber95

Postby ADW 123 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:24 pm

that looks great even though u used CA
ADW 123

Postby jensheydel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:01 am

Scigs30,

Nice work on the wing that looks very clean, I have a question for you about the Nieuport kit. Does the engine dummy represent the full motor or only the visible portion of it? I was thinking of getting this kit and if the full radial is represented attaching to the BL motor in such a fashion that it spins (as did the original) for scale effect.

If you still have the data for the self designed Nieuport would you be interested in sharing that, I have laser cutter shop here in Germany who could cut that for me. I have no design program here and no clue how to use one but I would be interested in the data if you would be interested in sharing the design.

Cheers, Jens
jensheydel

Postby scigs30 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:57 am

Jens, I don't mind sending you the file, but the design is not perfect. I had the plans all drawn up and the parts sent to the cutters when my computer crashed and I lost the plans. So I did my best to re draw the plans from the parts sheet, so it is not perfect but is doable. Let me finish mine so I can make the necessary corrections on the parts sheet and I will send it to you. Yes the Guillows Nieuport comes with a full cowl.
scigs30

Postby ADW 123 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:04 am

im still working on my mustang design... good news is is that i made the fuse in my 3D program, and i was able to get cross sections of the fuse at different points. i imported these cross sections into my 2D CAD program for traceing. i have the tail bits designed as well. i think i picked a pretty tricky plane for my firs CAD, but i dont want to give up on it.
ADW 123

Postby scigs30 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:26 am

That's good to hear, I have not tried 3D cad, been doing ok with 2D. For the most part the Fokker Dr.1 and the Nieuport II are the only two planes I wanted to draw in cad. Most of my draws will be from old plans so I can send the parts off for laser cutting. The Comet Nieuport you see in the picture came with real old wood that is warped and unusable, so I scanned the parts and traced them Coreldraw. This way I am able to clean them up for a better fit. I have a few vintage RC plans that I am going to trace the parts on. I just did a 35 inch Sterling Corsair, just have to sent the parts off for laser cutting.
scigs30

Postby jensheydel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:29 am

Scigs30,

Hey that would be terrific if we could work that out, although I had at one point Solid Works running on my laptop I just never got the hang of using it. I must either be too old or too dumb LOL :lol: . Since the Guillows Nieuport comes with a full motor it will be interesting to see if I can hide a BL motor in there so that the engine dummy rotates. Thanks for the info and hope you get both of them flying.

Cheers, Jens
jensheydel

Postby Squishyp38 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:02 pm

I use 2D CAD..........

Cardboard
Assisted
Design

:shock: :D
The P-38 is arguably the best... Forget that, it is THE BEST fighter of world war two, and is epically AWESOME!
Squishyp38
Squishyp38

Postby jensheydel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:53 pm

LOL !!I like that Squishyp38 I use it myself but personally ... I use the TLAR design system to enhance the CAD system :-)

T= That
L= Looks
A= About
R= Right

Cheers, Jens
jensheydel

Next

Return to General Building Questions