Kit 501 - Missing Part

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Kit 501 - Missing Part

Postby Cthulhu » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:58 pm

I have tried for weeks to get a plastic engine cowl for the P-40 Warhawk. However, the customer service folks have sent me the nose spinner three times and the canopy once.

I'm about ready to go crazy. Can someone who has built this kit confirm whether or not the part actually exists? It is definitely marked on the plans....
Cthulhu

Postby Fuel » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:53 pm

I built that kit and yes, it does exist. That's strange that it was left out.
Fuel

Postby supercruiser » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:32 pm

In a case like that I'd buy another P-40 kit. They are not too expensive. Since I fly my models, the second kit would be used for spare parts, anyway. yes, I know the principle of the matter says they should give you the part.
supercruiser

Postby Hibbies » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:24 pm

Besides the problem that you have with the replacement part, how is that kit ? I just finished the bf109 with some help with replacement decals. I didn't like the ones in the box. I prefer Super Scale. But I would like to build the P-40.
Hibbies

Postby Bulldog » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:19 am

I built the p-40 sometime ago as a P-40B which took considerable modification. Then I used after-market decals to make it and AVG Flying
Tiger display model, added lowered flaps, detailed landing gear etc. It
came out to be a nice looking ship.
Keep 'em flying!
Bulldog

Postby thymekiller » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:46 am

LOVE to hear about p40 stories. Good work , and yes its alot of mods to build a real "tiger" Would love to see pics.

Yes the part does exist. Its on the parts page. Its odd that they are sending the wrong part. Please try again, maybe they will get it right next time.
If you want you might try making a balsa nose block. I have never done it but some say it is lighter. I dont know.
Keep us posted.

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Re: Kit 501 - Missing Part

Postby mark » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:58 am

Cthulhu wrote:I have tried for weeks to get a plastic engine cowl for the P-40 Warhawk. However, the customer service folks have sent me the nose spinner three times and the canopy once.

Goto the kit parts listing page at http://www.balsamodels.com/Parts/kitparts.htm and then you can see pictures of all the parts in the kit. You can copy / paste the exact part off this page and email that off to Customer Service at cust_service@guillow.com and she will be able to help you out no problem.

Regards,
Mark
mark
Site Admin

Postby earlhouse » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Guillows customer service is really very good. I am recovering some Guillows and other models that I have had stored in my attic since 1973. I needed new plastic parts for a SBD Dauntless and decals and decals for 400 series P51 Mustang. I emailed them Thursday night and got email Friday saying they were behind and would get them out 1st of week. Monday mailman came to door with package and it was from Guillows. They had managed to get them into mail on Friday.

That is what I call super service.

I have several Guillows kits to build, but thinking about make them mini RC units.

Earl
Sand Springs, Ok
earlhouse

Postby John G. Jedinak » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Gotta ditto Earlhouse...I have always, ALWAYS had outstanding service from Guillows, even when they did not have a Parts Page posted. I must add that Mark Tennant (Forum Moderator) has been even so helpful with technical questions... Atta Boys for Mark!!!!!
John G. Jedinak

Postby Hibbies » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:57 pm

No offense, but perhaps the writer is in error. I've been building models for over 50 years and I've never had a problem with Guillow's. They will bend over backwards to make sure that you receive the broken or missing part.
8)
Hibbies

Postby SteveM » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:16 pm

In General Guillow's has excellent customer service. But there has been at least one time recently, about a year ago, when they got behind and parts orders were taking a long time to get shipped. There is a thread around here somewhere about it.
SteveM

Postby thymekiller » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Its called human error.
Happens all the time. [Alot at my house :lol: :lol: ]

Try again. You will see why we are all here. Try again.Check the parts page. Nobody else has a parts page. Nobody else has a forum ENTIRELY devoted to helping you build YOUR kit.
Keep trying and keep us posted. 8)

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby Hibbies » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Or, better yet. Call them on the phone. Very nice people and very helpful and very professional !
Hibbies

Postby Hibbies » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:44 pm

I happened to think about a F4U-1A that I built many years ago. I went to the Junior Grand Natiionals here in California in Gridley. And I flew this beast in Carrier and Scale control line. I just finished a BF109. Turned out quite well. I used some after market decals, as I modeled it for one of the BF109s at Normandy in '44. There is an outlet for pilots to fit that scale these days. The options are incredible these days.
Hibbies

Postby Mad Cap Romanian » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:11 am

Wonder if this guy got his parts?
Mad Cap Romanian

Next

Return to General Building Questions