How many actually fly?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Flew by what power?

Gas, Nitro
12%
Electric
26%
Rubber
62%

Total votes : 42

Postby BillParker » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:06 pm

all of that are big enuff to hold an .049 COX motor... Long as the bellcrank is in the right place they fly great... The by planes are fun because you can't hardly get em to dive or fly close to the ground, and that durned little red tri-plane... whew!

All the low wing 400 series planes are excellent 1/2a fliers... The 1000 series plane work great too, and long as you keep em a little lite... AND BEEF UP THE LANDING GEAR.

bp
William H. Parker Jr. (Bill Parker)
President, Parker Information Resources
http://www.parkerinfo.com/ap.htm bparker@parkerinfo.com
BillParker

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:56 pm

I have flown only a few of my planes, the Lancer, and the F6F Hellcat, both of which I used rubber to fly . I had much better success flying the Lancer. :shock:
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby thymekiller » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:43 am

It was my fear of crashing that stopped me from really being able to fly.
What goes up will come down. I have almost given up on building "family heirlooms".
If I fly it very often, it will, at some point, re-kit itself.
My dog was kind enough to fetch one back for me. Couldnt get mad at her, she thought she was doing a good thing. :lol: :lol:

thymekiller
"...the road goes on forever, and the party never ends..."
thymekiller

Postby bsadonkill » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:37 pm

I have built a number of Guillows kits with the wood supplied and got them to fly.The Arrow flys well , i have had it up to 700 turns with 4 strands of 1/4 inch rubber. It climbs fast, has a nice long glide. The Fairchild 24 i have flown about 50-70 yards with 4 strands of 3/16 around 400 turns. I built a Nieport 11 with a solid nose plug and got it to fly a ways out, it needs more trimming , it tends to dive to the left after a gentle stall. If i can keep it turning to the right it should turn out ok.Although i have used the kit wood i can see the point of selecting your own. All of my models would fly better if they were lighter.
bsadonkill

Postby FLYBOYZ » Sat May 23, 2009 12:25 pm

I just love building them and lighting them to max with out making them to week.I use rubber on some . some Ilike just gliuding them.My favoit is still the 500 P40 got over fifthy flights never borke it.Building a Fokker Dr 1 now making it lite as possible hope to see it fly at lease a little ways.cool stuff 8)
FLYBOYZ

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:34 am

For electric rc, I've got most all of mine flying well, and many are heavy, in terms of popular opinion. The most important things are building a consistent wing with a bit of washout, making a good Phillips entry on the wing, and adding whatever weight you have to, for a forward cg beyond that of the free flight cg. To be safe, no more than 24% of center chord on a reasonably straight wing, or MAC on a swept or elliptical wing.

Weight can be heavier than many think, and still fly well. Do a search for Guillows FW190 at RC Groups under WTFLYR, and you'll see my FW190 fly at over 14oz. The P47 is a great flyer at around 21 or 22oz.

I just finished a Guillows Cessna 172 at 15.5oz AUW which flys beautifully sttaight off the bench:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1106156
[/list]
Bill Gaylord

Postby Smokin' Beaver » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:04 am

I've got the Catalina, Flying Fortress & Liberator all flying well.
Also the 400 series Kittyhawk & A6M2 as well.
An older discontinued kit the DeHavilland DH-4 is a fantastic flyer too.

Probably the best flyer of all is the Kittyhawk.

All are electric.

Phil
Smokin' Beaver

Postby icedriller123 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:41 pm

I flew a Rumpler C with a Cox .020. and a lot of paint on it. The trick to gettting it in the air was a long ROG off asphalt. Gave long slow circles until meeting a tree. The tree was inevitable because hand launching in large grassy fields wouldn't work. Got the plane back. :shock:
icedriller123

Previous

Return to General Building Questions