Hello from an old modeler!

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Hello from an old modeler!

Postby Bill Hanshaw » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:33 pm

Hello, My name is Bill Hanshaw. live in Fort Worth Texas. I'm 85 years old, been building models since 1944. My first models were cardboard due to wartime balsa shortage, none flew but were fun to put together. After the war, I started building stick models from most kit manufacturers, and here I am at 85 enjoying building Guillow's models. I just finished the smaller Guillow's FW190, trying to keep it light as I wanted to fly it indoors with my small flying group. It came out at 20 gms with rubber, and when I did some test flights in the gym, I just couldn't get it trimmed to fly with any stability, no matter what I did. I've decided that it's just going to be an outside flyer. I'm now building the Guillow's Hawker Hurricane, also trying for minimum weight, doing some kit bashing to keep it light as possible. More on that later. I'm glad to be a member of this forum, helped by Mark to get registerd. :D
Bill Hanshaw

Re: Hello from an old modeler!

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:04 pm

The Hurricane also has a short nose and will be even more trouble to trim. If you are going with the 500 series try the Hellcat, Avenger and P-40, in that order. :wink: I actually got the Joe Ott models to fly but I had the help of my father who was an aeronautical engineer.

KF
kittyfritters

Postby Ray Klein » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:32 pm

Welcome!! Enjoy your builds and flying. :D
Ray Klein

Postby Scott » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:31 pm

Hello & welcome,Bill. :)
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Postby heywooood » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 am

Hello Bill - have you ever seen this YouTube channel?
Everyone who builds flying models should go through every last one of these videos - just click on the link below
https://www.youtube.com/@maxfliart
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Return to General Building Questions