U.S.ARMY

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

U.S.ARMY

Postby Johnny ace » Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:13 pm

I am working on the Guillows Stearman.The decals in the kit do not include the "U.S. ARMY"decals for the bottom wing.Can anyone help with the correct dimensions so I can make decals?The kit is 1/16 scale.Thank you.
Johnny ace

Re: U.S.ARMY

Postby kittyfritters » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:25 am

This is a quote from a paper "Evolution of National Insignia, Coloration and Markings On USAF Aircraft" which covers 1917 to the present.

The appearance of "U.S. ARMY" resulted from some confusion the general public experienced in identifying Army planes and those belonging to other executive departments, commercial concerns, or private individuals. Station commanders were given the options of adding "U.S. ARMY" to the lower wings and fuselage sides, in a technical order dated 4 February, 1924. "U.S." would appear on the right wing, and "ARMY" on the left wing, with the top of the letters toward the wing's leading edge. Bold white letters, 24 inches high, would be used on dark surfaces, and black letters on light backgrounds. On 15 October 1926 the wing marking became mandatory.

OK, you know the letters are 24 inches high, so at 1:16 scale they are 1-1/2 inches tall. If you are trying to print them I recommend the USN Stencil TruType font.

Hope this helps!

KF
kittyfritters

Re: U.S.ARMY

Postby Johnny ace » Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:48 am

Yes!Thank you.
Johnny ace

Return to General Building Questions