500 Series Me-109 revisited after 35 years.

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

500 Series Me-109 revisited after 35 years.

Postby Slavs » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:33 am

I was introduced to Guillows and stick and tissue back during the early 70s while still in elementary school. And, back then I found it pretty challenging building my first kit, a Guillows 500 series ME-109. After building the frame a riend showed me how to apply the tissue. And, I remember the color of the tissue which came in that kit in 1974. It was dark blue, not white. My friend was building a 500 series Spitfire, and the color of his kit tissue was orange. Considering my age and skill level that model didn't look too bad. It wasn't balanced or trimmed, and I never flew it. Fast forward to 2010, and I decided to build that kit again. I made some mistakes and learned a couple of things along the way. Once I learned some techniques, I built the FW-190 500 series, which came out a little cleaner.

The Me-109 as pictured with kit wood, 6" non-kit prop and a 7g lead weight for balance from a car wheel, minus the rubber weighs 35 grams. It took a lot of weight to balance this model. In comparison the Fw-190 weighs the same, but with only a few grams needed to balance the model. So, the ME-109 can be built a lot lighter if the frame aft of the cockpit is kept light.

I used domestic tissue for the build as it comes in a lot of colors. I thought this color scheme captures the look of the box art, not pictured here. I have yet to apply the decals.

With today's relatively cheap and very light micro RC gear I believe these models can be built and kept at 40g or less for powered RC flight. But, we're here in the free flight section. And, this model glides nice and straight. Under power, though, it rolls left and into the ground. I cracked a wing, repaired it and set the model aside. But, perhaps if I started with a smaller prop and the short kit rubber I maybe able to get a short flight and build my way up. It's just a thought for now. I'm happy I was able to build the plane, balance it and conduct a a successful test glide. I have several kits of this model, and I may build one with a proper nose block. I've adjusted the thrust angle with balsa strips on this model. None of my kits are the newer laser cut variety, but rather the old school die cut kits.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Slavs on Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Slavs

Re: 500 Series Me-109 revisited after 35 years-additional pi

Postby Slavs » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:57 am

The Me-109 has a small front profile and a long fuselage section aft of the wings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slavs

Re: 500 Series Me-109 revisited after 35 years.

Postby Scott » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:35 am

That 109 looks great,Slavs.

You & I must be around the same age.
Well done,that you built a Guillow's
109 when you were still in elementary
school.I wouldn't have even considered
tackling one back then.

Back around 1971-72,my dad built me
the Guillow's 503 Hellcat.He'd built
kits as a boy in the 1930's,and belonged
to a Flying Club(maybe at school) at that
time.

The Hellcat flew pretty good,but always
upside down,if I remember correctly. :)

Scott
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Re: 500 Series Me-109 revisited after 35 years.

Postby Slavs » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:06 pm

Thank You, Scott.
Slavs

Return to General Building Questions