New Member, 400 series WWII fighter builder

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

New Member, 400 series WWII fighter builder

Postby Marlan » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:12 pm

Greetings,
I'm a new (prior) member here, but have been building the 400 series WWII fighter kits for years (50+) So far; 4x P-51s, 2x FW-190s, 2x P-40, 2x BF-109, 1x Spitfire, and 1x the Zero Sen. I now have the complete set, all rubber band powered. I'm curious how many builders have built all six. I've learned a lot about what worked and what didn't. I've done some novel propeller designs, and a few alterations that I could discuss :D . I have a few questions for other builders too, particularly weight.
1) What should be considered the maximum weight that a model should be to expect a "nominal" flight?
2) What is the optimum length of the rubber band?
3) Could the propeller assembly be a component of the counterweight to replace the clay?
Anyway, I look forward to whatever you'd like to share and discuss your builds, compare notes, Ideas :D!
Best Regards,
Marlan Bell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marlan

Re: New Member, 400 series WWII fighter builder

Postby Mitch » Tue May 03, 2022 10:03 pm

Hi Marlan,

Nice collection of 400's. It is my favorite category. I have built all 6, some several times. You can look at my build thread of the 2015 Challenge "Red 13" of a FW 190. That plane could not quite get 30 seconds air time, but it flew very well and I still have it. Many of my planes have gone to the shedder and I can always build another and better version.

I built the FW-190 for the Guillow challenge and used all kit balsa parts. I modified the front end and used a larger 8" peck prop and tan rubber. I think I moved the rear peg spot fwd 1 bay as the FW is very narrow in the rear of the plane.

I did everything I could to get that plane as light as possible but the plane was not competitive on a competition level, although it is a nice fun flyer.

It depends what you expect for a 'normal' flight. I have joined the FAC (Flying Aces Club) but have been inactive for several years now.

I usually do not need any or very little clay, as I build up the front end and that balances the model.

and... YES... the model is balanced with the prop assembly and that may help you not needed much clay in the front end.

On another model the P-51, I built many years ago with all Guillow parts, prop and rubber. The Guillows rubber is stronger and gives more power and torque for a short burst of power. That model flew nicely in a schoolyard and I do not remember the weight, and I did not time the model... maybe 10 or 15 seconds, but it looked very nice flying on the rubber power.

Mitch

PS When I build WW2 models for flight, they have 'wheels up' and I drop half the ribs in the wings. (Guillow models are built for gas power and for rubber power they do not need all that structure)
Mitch

Re: New Member, 400 series WWII fighter builder

Postby Scott » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:44 am

Great looking models,Marlan!
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Return to General Building Questions