Guillows Trojan

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillows Trojan

Postby scigs30 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:41 pm

Besides model airplanes, I build RC planes...no ARFs here, model rockets, plastic models and furniture. So when I was at Rockler a couple of weeks ago I saw this new Titebond glue in a jug. I use the same white glue for all my projects except plastic models. One of the things I want from my glue is that it dries clear. Titebond original is the best glue I have ever used but it dries light yellow, so I don't really use it much. This new glue from Titebond is a Aliphatic Resin just like Titebond original except it dries clear. It dries fast, maybe too fast and is strong. I have tried it out on a rocket, some furniture and now this Guillows Trojan I won from Doyle Blevins on the last Guillows challenge. I built this model straight from the box with no modifications in about 2 days. As shown she weighs 18 grams and will start covering with kit tissue tomorrow. Of course I am not happy with the canopy. This made a great test project for the this glue since it has some defined bends in the fuselage. This glue dries so fast, I would just hold the parts together for a few min and they held in place with no clamps, pins or tape. Also I did not wet and pre bend the curved stringers because I really wanted to test the glue. After this build I will build a vintage large RC plane and see how well this glue works. This glue also worked really well on my furniture that I have used it on. Stay tuned for my RC build, I will post pictures of my build when I get started.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Re: Guillows Trojan

Postby scigs30 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:42 pm

Some more pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:51 am

I used the kit tissue, I forgot Guillows swapped out their white domestic tissue for this newer tissue. This tissue is pretty close to Esaki as I have seen and it shrinks pretty aggressive when compared to older Guillows Domestic tissue. I cover the wings and tail surfaces dry to prevent warps, that is why you see everything pinned down waiting to be doped. The fuselage I covered wet, one piece for the bottom, one pieces for the left half and one piece for the right half. Since this tissue shrinks so much, it kind of distorted some fuselage formers and stringers, oh well. I applied the tissue with 50/50 Water/Elmers glue. I did not attach with the new Titebond since it is a aliphatic glue. Aliphatic glues have a tendency to leave residue on the tissue. Hopefully I can get everything doped today if I have time.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:59 pm

She is all done balanced and ready for flight weight is 24 grams balanced. Built out of the box with no modifications. Once again the canopy is horrible as you can see, it kept falling apart so I ended up using transparent tape to keep it together. The decals went on like a charm and the over aggressive tissue looks like old Esaki. I coated the model with 2 coats of Sig Lite dope to seal the tissue and accept the waterslide decals. Next will be her up in the air flying, get to try my new Go Pro.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:59 pm

More pictures
scigs30

Postby A26 Invader » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:02 pm

Looks great. I always get inspired by your craftsmanship! Keep doing what you do!!!
A26 Invader

Postby Scott » Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:25 am

I don't know how I missed this thread when you originally posted it,scigs. :oops:

(thanks to A26,I've seen it now)

Beautiful work on that Trojan. :!:
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Postby Slavs » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:13 pm

Clean and precise !

Why did Guillows switch from their proven domestic tissue ?

-
Slavs

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:09 pm

David,

Another absolutely straight build!

There is a slightly thicker version of the new Titebond glue that they sell for crafting. It has a really fast grab and I have been using it for all my building since I found it. A very minimal amount of it makes a good joint.

Keep 'Em Flying!

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby boxhead » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:43 am

What do score and crack mean on this model? I only found a AMA site on score and crack for Guillow rubber stick planes and they had a block and CA to hold the “bend” but how much is those score and crack pieces need to be …well scored and cracked? And by looking there’s a left and right on spars, and that piece at the tail, I can’t see it.
Maybe it’s the radiation and chemo, I’ve had the box 2 weeks, I didn’t want to start until I understood all the build. I don’t want just do it without understanding, without weakening those spars that attach the wings to fuselage, or that piece at the tail.
Thanks for any information. I thought I’d try here first before I try Guillow’s
This is my second stick and tissue plane, separated by 50 years, my dad bought a big Glider, and I was looking forward to doing it together, he died flying for DEA in Lima, along with some important people with coca eradication project by LAWS and hillside fires for smoke.
boxhead

Return to General Building Questions