Kit 906 Typhoon Mk1B

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Kit 906 Typhoon Mk1B

Postby buntzi » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 am

Hello fellow modellers
I tried to find build logs on the forum but so far I was not very successful. Anyway, I decided to share with you my experience with the build of kit 906 – Typhoon Mk 1B.
Some time ago I bought my first Guillow’s balsa models, 4 kits. They had to wait their turn at the build table, as at the time I had a harbour tug kit in the works and a wood ship following next. Also, the fact that I could not join your community and ask questions was a kind of setback as well. Last week though, I’ve finished the construction of my wood sail boat and I just could not bear to have my work desk empty. I tossed coin and the Typhoon was the chosen one, even knowing that I will not have your support. Fortunately, yesterday even this issue went away (thanks again Mark for your swift action) so I’ve decided to start this topic and share my experience with you.
This is the first time for me building this kind of kits. My first balsa kit, first airplane (flying or not) kit, first...all. You’ve got it.
As such, I’m sure I’ve already made enough mistakes to pretty much ensure that this will not be a great model. Hopefully though, it will be the starting point and a lesson learning build and by the time I will build the last of the 4 kits I will make it proper.
Now, from what I was reading, there are a lot of things that you (I mean the modellers experienced with these kits) know by heart and don’t even sweat about it. I faced several issues, but I do not know if they are somehow general, or just for this particular kit. Here they are:
- Ahhh, your nice US customary units :roll:
- “Cement” “dope”…It would have been nice if the terms would have been more “worldwide” instead of “US”. While I’ve managed to find out what “dope” is (and how it can be replaced), I still don’t know what the “cement” is. As a non-native/second language English speaker, for me cement is the stuff that you’re making the concrete/mortar out of. Sure is not the case here, is it? So, a better description of the recommended kind of glue would really help. I used CA for all the joints and white glue where holding in position for long was not an issue.
I admit, those two are just pulling leg :P
- I’ve understood that you have to use the plan as template for the build. But most of the instructions are printed on the other side of the plans… :cry:
- The kit that I have is (or seem) quite old, and is die-cut. Some of the parts were not fully cut-thorough, so some splinters occurred. This was worsen in some cases due to me not being able to see exactly where the part starts or ends. Die cut stamp was sometimes very easily confused with the wood’s natural texture.
- The explanations for making the dihedral of the wing were a little bit confusing to me. Even now I’m not sure if I did it right or not. Some of the parts were confusing in shape in scope. I’m now talking directly on the parts W7 and W8, which are supporting parts for the wings. Although the plan show these parts as to be placed in the wings between frames W1 – W2 and W3 – W4 respectively,
20200311_164007.jpg
20200311_164016.jpg

the shape of these parts are a very good match for the dihedral of the wing. Of course, first time I had installed these parts where the plans told me to. When I tried to make the dihedral, the end result was a little bit too flimsy for my taste. There was pretty much nothing to hold the wing in position. It is very possible that I did it wrong, but I tried to follow the printed instructions as closely as I could. For me, the result did not looked right. So, I took them apart (without any further adjustment), flipped them over and place them as per my intuition and now they look like this:
20200311_164028.jpg

- The landing gear dimensions are not correlated between the general plan and the bending instructions. Even now I have no idea which one is correct. I made them as per the bending instructions and they fit good enough in the wing, although they are some 10mm shorter than what is shown in the arrangement drawing. I wanted to upload more photos, but 3 is the limit so maybe next time.
- I still have no idea how to glue the landing gear to the structure and when. The instructions are telling after the covering with paper, my brain is shouting that it shall be done before, while you still have access to the innards…Same for the mounting of the wings. How do you properly glue the wings to the fuselage with no access inside? Dilemma…
Ok, I would say that I’ve covered all to the current build stage.
I have to point out that by no means I’m trying to point the finger at Guillow or any of the sort. As I’ve said, since none of you guys seem to face these kind of issues, I assume that is just my complete lack of experience in the field that is showing.
Well, this is it. I will keep posting the build status as it progresses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
buntzi

Re: Kit 906 Typhoon Mk1B

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:20 am

I have one that I built in 2004 that is still flyable. As you can see, I used a larger propeller.

n_a.jpg

If you are going to fly it I recommend not installing the landing gear.

The bottom of the fuselage where the wing attaches is a weak point in the model. Cover everything but the bottom of the fuselage. Assemble the model and add a cross piece against the two stubs of the wing spars inside the fuselage. Then cover the bottom of the fuselage.

I hope this helps.

KF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kittyfritters

Postby buntzi » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:47 am

Thanks for visiting.
Very nice looking model you have there. My painting skills are in the lower part of the spectrum, I doubt that I can come out with something as nice.
Mega-thanks for the advice regarding the wing assembly, I will follow it.
I think I will try to install the landing gear though, partly because I'm not planning to keep the model but rather to give it to some kids and I think they would like it better with the gear.
Now, your model did not fly at all with the kit propeller, or it flies better with this one? Similar for the landing gear, you decided not to install it because it did not fly with it, or based on previous experience that they fly better without the gear?
buntzi

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:56 pm

buntzi wrote:Thanks for visiting.
Very nice looking model you have there. My painting skills are in the lower part of the spectrum, I doubt that I can come out with something as nice.
Mega-thanks for the advice regarding the wing assembly, I will follow it.
I think I will try to install the landing gear though, partly because I'm not planning to keep the model but rather to give it to some kids and I think they would like it better with the gear.
Now, your model did not fly at all with the kit propeller, or it flies better with this one? Similar for the landing gear, you decided not to install it because it did not fly with it, or based on previous experience that they fly better without the gear?

Yes, it flies much better with the larger propeller than it did with the kit propeller. On this model, the landing gear is excess weight and something to break off. The model was airbrushed with opaque acrylic ink.

Keep 'Em Flying!

KF
kittyfritters

Postby Bis » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:31 pm

Thanks for sharing your build, I wish I could help but I have only built 4 in recent years and they are all for display. I look forward to see how you progress.
Bis

Postby Scott » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:54 am

I'll be following your Typhoon build too,thanks for sharing.
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Postby buntzi » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:58 am

Cheers folks!
Well, it's done (kind of...) This is how it looks:
20200426_094332.jpg

Of course, it's not as handsome as other builds that I have seen here, but I'm quite happy with the result.
The most surprising thing is that it flies beautifully. Straight and true, although I cannot test with more than 25 turns of the band. I will try more when the situation will relax and I'll be allowed in the park.
All in all, I will let it be (maybe sometime I will also put some paint on it and the decals) and I will assemble the Mustang as well.
buntzi

Postby Scott » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:09 am

That's a very nice build,and it's great that she's a good flyer too. :)
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Postby DenisCullinan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:27 am

Hi buntzi,

Am I right in understanding that you’ve just newly taken up the stick-and-tissue hobby? It’s a really relaxing thing. It’ll help take your mind off the stresses of the year 2020.
My brother and I started the hobby in the early 1950s—-you can imagine how ancient I must be. My eyesight and dexterity are rather bummed-out now, of course, but I still enjoy reading about other builders.
Keep on building!

Yours,
Denis Cullinan
Brooklyn NY
DenisCullinan

Postby Oldyzracer1 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:01 pm

Typhoon was also my first serious adult build. Yours is better than mine! I had trouble figuring out the instructions too.
Oldyzracer1

Return to General Building Questions