Guillows pricing

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillows pricing

Postby scigs30 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:52 pm

Wow, has any one else noticed the price jump on Guillows website. Now I am not blaming Guillows, I know balsa is hard to come by right now but wow what an increase. I always said the best thing about Guillows is the value you get when purchasing their kits, hopefully this price jump does not hurt them.
scigs30

Re: Guillows pricing

Postby heywooood » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:18 am

Shortages are due to the burning of the rainforests for farmable land parcels - result of the trade tariff war with China.
Soybeans they used to buy from us are now sourced elsewhere..
Dumas and the rest have also adjusted their prices on kits generated since the debacle.
I might have to give this up or reduce to one project a year. Infill uses up five times the amount of balsa that flyers use.
Mind you I’m not trying to be political here - this is just what I know from looking into it and talking to National Balsa’s purchaser and sales reps. and Doug (customer service) at Dumas...
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:50 pm

The balsa shortage has effected me also. I thought I had found an alternative balsa source, made an order and received some very good wood. Unfortunately, a few weeks later someone used my card number, from a card that I only use for purchasing model supplies, to buy something from Amazon. Fortunately, I look at my bank balances frequently. Without naming any names I can say that I won't be using that supplier again.

Kittyfritters
kittyfritters

Postby Balsa Pilot » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:18 pm

Greetings to all its been a long time since i visited the forum.
One question- did Guillows ever decide to re-launch the WW1 kits they had talked about ?
Balsa Pilot

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:50 am

I also notice a lot of kits are out of stock on the website. I hope that's not indicative of anything beyond the current difficulty in sourcing balsa. There are other great options out there, but the first kit I built was a Guillow's Javelin, so there's a bit of a nostalgia factor to Guillow's kits for me.
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:16 pm

Arlo DiPasquale wrote:I also notice a lot of kits are out of stock on the website. I hope that's not indicative of anything beyond the current difficulty in sourcing balsa. There are other great options out there, but the first kit I built was a Guillow's Javelin, so there's a bit of a nostalgia factor to Guillow's kits for me.

It's not surprising that some kits are out of stock. The plant is closed, due to the corona virus lockdown, and the staff is working from home. It's going to be a while before things get back to normal!

KF
kittyfritters

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:05 pm

kittyfritters wrote:It's not surprising that some kits are out of stock. The plant is closed, due to the corona virus lockdown, and the staff is working from home. It's going to be a while before things get back to normal!

That makes sense, and I'm sure people are ordering more than usual with modelbuilding being the perfect lockdown activity and all.
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby mark eggebeen » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:12 pm

I called them the end of Feb about a PBY catalina availability and their answer was : three weeks so... hope things are going to loosen up soon
mark eggebeen

Return to General Building Questions