What is the largest/most complex model for WWI & WWII planes

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

What is the largest/most complex model for WWI & WWII planes

Postby scottbower » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:11 pm

I am looking for a challenge. I have the P38 Lighting Kit - 2001 next on my list of builds. Would one of the bombers from WWII be more complex?
scottbower

Re: What is the largest/most complex model for WWI & WWII pl

Postby squirlye » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:03 am

I have never built the B-17 or the B-24. But i have built the P-38, it is a very challenging kit. More or less both Bombers are a standard airplane shape,with extra engines. The P-38 is more complex with the 2 full length engine nacells. A twin rudder set up. And the center nacell that looks more like 1 man submarine. It also has some of the most moveable parts, ie control surface, landing gear and bomb dropping capability. It has a ton of cardboard stock that goes in the wheel wells and cockpit. It also has a bunch of plastic to deal with. Which alot of people have a hard time working with. I also think that the PBY looks like a pretty tough build as well. So if you do build the P-38, please keep us updated with picture if possible.
squirlye

Postby stan736 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:41 pm

I built the P-38 back in the late 70's and have been working on the B-17 off and on for a couple of years. In my opinion, the P-38 is the more difficult one to build.
stan736

Postby mark eggebeen » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:44 pm

I have built the P -38, the B-24 and the Pby catalina I " infilled " each one and it gave me a great sense of satisfaction to finish them! Each one took me at least three months to complete Have fun and enjoy the challenge.
mark eggebeen

Postby mark eggebeen » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:44 pm

I have built the P -38, the B-24 and the Pby catalina I " infilled " each one and it gave me a great sense of satisfaction to finish them! Each one took me at least three months to complete Have fun and enjoy the challenge.
mark eggebeen

Postby mark eggebeen » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:45 pm

mark eggebeen

Postby poakley » Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:25 pm

I am just getting back into building the Guillow's balsa kits, It has been about 10 years since I finished the last one.

I have several of the Giant Scale Series models to work on, the B-17, the P-38, the B-42 and the PBY 5A.

I am starting with the PBY. My son gave the kit to me for my birthday (72nd). I am planning on adding motors to turn the props, so I will be making modifications to support them. I am also planning on making the flaps and rudder movable but everything will still be for static display.

Can some one give me some suggestions on how to make or obtain the hinges?
poakley

Postby Johnny ace » Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:46 pm

I would contact a shop that deals with r/c planes.They should have some options for you.A simple hinge cutter and ca cloth hinges would work.
Johnny ace

Return to General Building Questions