Assembling plastic parts

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Assembling plastic parts

Postby GGB14 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:19 am

I'm building the Sopwith Camel for my grandson's birthday but I'm confused about the plastic parts included in the kit. First off, the direction for how to assemble them are vague to say the least. Take to propeller for instance: I don't understand how I am supposed to glue both sides together when there is virtually no surface area to glue to. It would almost be easier to use what has been provided as forms, fill them with resin and glue both halves together. How are other dealing with this?
GGB14

Re: Assembling plastic parts

Postby heywooood » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:15 pm

What kind of glue are you using? It has been a while since I last built the Camel but on the Guillow Stearman kit # 803 I used the kit provided plastic prop. The two halves when cut from their plastic sheet look unrelated to each other and unlikely to use in any way. However, working from the middle of the prop out toward the tips, one blade at a time, the super glue or CYA medium viscosity adhesive works. What I do is try to fit the rear half inside of the front half of the prop..or pilot..and more or less ‘fill’ the seam with adhesive. Once it is dry you can sand the seams down with 150 grit on a sanding block. Just be careful not to go through the seam. Just clean away the excess plastic and dried adhesive. If you do sand through part of the seam just use liquid plastic cement (like Tamya or equal) and piece of scrap plastic from the sheet you cut the prop halves from - insert the scrap into the gap and let the liquid cement flow all around it to melt it into place. Then sand smooth again when its dry.
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby GGB14 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:08 pm

Thanks. Kind of a jenky set-up but I'll give it a shot.
GGB14

Postby heywooood » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:53 pm

it is janky - much better to make your own props than use the kit provided vac-formed ones but that can be daunting and take a while to become adept at.
I have made my own propellers a few times now - the most recent was a replica of the Hamilton Standard used in the mid 30's - made it for my Flyline Stearman elsewhere on this page.
It is a completely different type of propeller to what you need for the Camel however - so the youtube video I posted of 'how-to' won't likely help you much.
here is one of the vids anyway..if you want to see more (there might be 4 or 5 just on making the prop - I got carried away) just poke around on the channel - it's free https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbGuaPDrlws
I can say however that the method I described for assembling the kit plastic prop does work, and you can paint it in wood tones that should make it convincing enough.
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby GGB14 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:25 am

Thanks! This is just a display model to hang from the ceiling so I'm not worried if the prop's performance or weight.
GGB14

Postby BillyG02 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:49 pm

Before I started re doing my house to sell I started the p51 mustang and it when finished will be just a display I went to the local hobby shop found a correct prop and spinner a lil redesign on the way to mount it on the plane it came out very nice and works with the rubber band
BillyG02

Return to General Building Questions