Preparing infilled surfaces for final paint

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Preparing infilled surfaces for final paint

Postby donnier » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:15 pm

I have sheathed, rather than infilled, my last 3 builds. I use 1/32" balsa to do it and have gotten fairly good at it. Working on a Dauntless Dive Bomber right now. What product(s) and process do you guys use to smooth to a near glass finish the tiny juncture lines between putty and wood, etc. so that even the tiny imperfections will be eliminated? I am thinking of some kind of lacquer-based, self-leveling primer that could do this, so to allow finish coating with an enamel paint. Help!! Could really use your expertise. ...and THANKS!
donnier

Re: Preparing infilled surfaces for final paint

Postby Blacksheep214 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:04 pm

I haven't done it much with balsa, but from my experience with metal, if there is slight pitting, you can use an etching epoxy primer. The epoxy works to fill in the pits (just small pits mind you) and can be sanded then gone over in enamel, and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference. For balsa, the question is, are you intending to fly this plane? I am assuming that this is for static display. I know a gentleman that did a Dauntless who used bondo (sparingly), then sanded smooth, primed it and used an enamel paint finished with a clear coat. I wish I had a picture because it looked stunning! You can get this at Home Depot though, the product is from Dap and is called Fast N' Final lightweight Spackling. This works even better than bondo putty. And it's much lighter weight. :wink:
Blacksheep214

Re: Preparing infilled surfaces for final paint

Postby Coloradoken » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:14 pm

I use Carpenter interior wood filler, sand smooth and paint. The SE5 shows the seamless result.
filler.jpeg
SE 5.jpg
SE5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coloradoken

Return to General Building Questions