Guillows 400 LC Spitfire build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Guillows 400 LC Spitfire build

Postby scigs30 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:08 am

I started the Guillows 400 series Spitfire, the wood is pretty good and the build goes fast. The majority of the build only took a day or so using white glue. The longest part of the build has been shaping and sanding the leading edge. I will start covering with the kit supplied silkspan today and yes she will be rubber.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Re: Guillows 400 LC Spitfire build

Postby Blacksheep214 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:34 pm

Can't wait to see when finished! I wanted to do a 400 Spitfire, but my hanger sort of ran out of room! I guess I need to add on!
Blacksheep214

Postby Scott » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:15 am

Great work,Scigs.
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Postby scigs30 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:17 pm

I have been busy but had a few hours today to cover the Spitfire. I am using the kit supplied silkspan and this stuff is great. I used Silkspan many times before and have always attached with thinned white glue, never used the dope method. The good thing about silkspan is that it can be applied wet and it stretches around everything without tearing. It is great for larger builds but it could warp smaller models or weaker structures, also silkspan normally requires more dope than tissue to seal the surface. I first brushed on thinned glue but a glue stick will work if you choose not to use dope. I then spray the cut out piece of silkspan with water, I don't drench silkspan since I am using glue. Normally people soak the silkspan in a pan of water, lay on dry towel then apply to frame pretty wet. Since I use white glue on the structure, this could cause an issue with excessive water getting to the glue joints. I lay the damp silkspan on the glued frame and begin pulling out the wrinkles, this only takes a matter of seconds. Once it is smooth I begin cutting relief cuts in the silkspan that overlap the structure. This is an important step to prevent the tissue from coming loose from the structure. Once this is done, just let it dry and trim the excess, should be no wrinkles in the silkspan when all dried. Once the silkspan is all trimmed, I brush on a coat of thinned eze dope to seal the edges. If I did not do this, the silkspan would come loose when you apply the second side with wet silkspan. When I was younger and did not have eze dope, I would seal the edges with Testors wood glue. On my next day off I will brush on couple coats of dope to seal the silkspan. So far as shown, she weighs 40 grams covered with no dope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:18 pm

More pictures
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:19 pm

Last pictures
scigs30

Postby Blacksheep214 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:45 pm

Very nice work! Good foundation and ready for some paint!
Blacksheep214

Postby scigs30 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:11 pm

She is ready for paint, building has been pretty slow since I have been busy. After 2 coats of dope and all put together the weight was 63 grams. After I balanced with clay and added rubber she now weighs 88 grams. The exhaust are painted a rust color and are drying that's why they are now on the plane. I plan on using Design Master paint, light coats for a finish.
scigs30

Postby Blacksheep214 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:22 am

Very, Very nice Scigs! Can't wait to see the finished product!
Blacksheep214

Postby akjgardner » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:38 pm

Thats looking really good. can't quite get the hang of tishue covering
akjgardner

Postby scigs30 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:06 pm

I started painting with Design Master Spray paint, and well it is not going so well. I should not have been lazy and just used my airbrush with Testors for the paint job. I sure do miss the days of going to Hobby store and buying any color of Aerogloss paint, good stuff and goes on great. I have used Design Master before with good results but that is with tissue and dope, never with silkspan. The issue I had with Design Master this time is it peeled up with the masking tape, even after allowing the paint to dry. I am not going to mask and spray the dark green so I will either brush the camo on or leave it as is and apply the decals.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:22 pm

I am calling this build done and ready for flight. I really enjoyed this build up to the paint, I really wish I was not lazy and used my airbrush. Since it is hard to find military colored dope, I will just used really thin Testors enamels in the future with light coats. The brown I used looks too orange and in the end she ended up coming in at 94 grams balanced with rubber. I took off the tail wheel and spinner for the test flights..... I actually used the Guillows rubber with a few turns and she flies pretty slow. I have another Guillows laser cut Spitfire kit and hope to build that one right someday. My plan is to build this entire series over the next couple of years but I may just leave them white to reduce the weight. Now I think I will break out an old Comet kit to build.
scigs30

Postby scigs30 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Last three.....Good job with the laser cutting on these kits Guillows.
scigs30

Postby kittyfritters » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:59 pm

scigs30 wrote:I am calling this build done and ready for flight. I really enjoyed this build up to the paint, I really wish I was not lazy and used my airbrush. Since it is hard to find military colored dope, I will just used really thin Testors enamels in the future with light coats. The brown I used looks too orange and in the end she ended up coming in at 94 grams balanced with rubber. I took off the tail wheel and spinner for the test flights..... I actually used the Guillows rubber with a few turns and she flies pretty slow. I have another Guillows laser cut Spitfire kit and hope to build that one right someday. My plan is to build this entire series over the next couple of years but I may just leave them white to reduce the weight. Now I think I will break out an old Comet kit to build.

Dave,

The Testor's Acryl line has a full selection of military colors including the RLM colors used by the Germans in WW2. I've been using Frog Tape, Delicate Surface (The yellow one.) for masking lately and not had any trouble with it pulling up Design Master paints.

Howard
(Kittyfritters)
kittyfritters

Postby Blacksheep214 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:15 am

Beautiful job there my friend! Hey, if you don't want her, I'll take her off your hands! :wink:
Blacksheep214

Return to General Building Questions