Masking/ Airbrush with Acrylics question

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Masking/ Airbrush with Acrylics question

Postby emeiermodel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased an airbrush, and I'm currently working on the first model that I am painting with an airbrush using acrylic paint. It is the Piper Cub 95. I've completed the yellow painting and I'm now beginning to work on the masking/painting of the blue part of the body.

My question is should I spray the body with a finishing spray (Krylon Matte Satin Finish Spray Enamel) which essentially would seal and protect the existing acrylic paint, prior to masking and then painting with blue acrylic? I thought I saw somewhere in a post (not sure which model forum) that prior to putting on paint masking (in my case Grafix Frisket Matte tape) you should seal acrylics otherwise the masking can damage the underlying coloring.

Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance!
emeiermodel

Re: Masking/ Airbrush with Acrylics question

Postby Blacksheep214 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:21 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum! First let me tell you what I did on my recent spitfire build. After covering with tissue I sprayed it with clear acrylic, the did the base tan. Then I cut different camo patterns in the masking tape and put it on over the base tan and sprayed away. The key in NOT taking paint of when removing masking tape is to go SLOWLY! VERY SLOWLY! I had no such problems. You could do a coat over your base, but keep in mind, even with clear coat, each layer adds weight.
Blacksheep214

Postby flying t » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:04 pm

new guy in sc, when I tried the krylon matte finish 1311 I got very light whit spots when dryed,shinny spry worked a lot better
flying t

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:32 pm

I have been using Krylon, UV resistant, clear fixative, #1305 to fix the tissue on my models for many years. It's gloss finish and if I want matte finish I simply use matte paints. Just about anything will go over Krylon acrylics and I use Testor's and Tamaya acrylic paints, nitrate dope (Only if it must be absolutely waterproof...My wife is very allergic.), Design Master floral spray, and acrylic airbrush inks depending on the colors, weight and finish I need. I was using frisket for masking but recently been using Frog tape for delicate surfaces to good effect without pulling up undercoats or leaving shiny spots.

Hope this helps,

Howard
(kittyfritters)
kittyfritters

Return to General Building Questions