Two Building Questions

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Two Building Questions

Postby regular guy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:36 pm

1 I put a glob of Hobbylinc (Bob Smith Industries) CA glue gap filling on a piece of white cardboard.

It took forever to dry.

I was expecting CA glue to dry within seconds.

What happened?

2 Talked to somebody about using a piece of soft pine for a building board.

They brought up 'wood memory'. I think the point was you want the hole to go away after you pull the pin out.

Either that or it grips the pin better.

How does a scrap of pine board from Home Depot do for a building board?
regular guy

Re: Two Building Questions

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:25 pm

Yes, globs of CA can take forever to dry. CA for balsa can take forever to dry on cardboard, paper, and acetate. If you're impatient, use "kicker", but don't spray it, get a dribble bottle and use it by the drop. (Careful not to touch the needle point of the dribble bottle to the glue!) And, don't use globs! Use as little as you can and still get it to stick, good advice for any kind of glue used in a flying model airplane, compared to the balsa the glue is heavy. You might apply it to a joint with a pin or wire. If you are going to use CA cover your plans with plastic from a Costco 10 gallon, clear, waste basket liner. It's one of the few things that CA doesn't stick to very well.

I've used a good flat piece of corrugated cardboard, a piece of celotex, a balsa building board (See Guillow web site), a sheet of balsa with styrofoam glued to it, and a good flat bulletin board for building boards. (You may have to sort through an entire rack of bulletin boards at Staples to find a flat one.)

You're overthinking again. Get some kind of board and build!

Howard
(kittyfritters)
kittyfritters

Re: Two Building Questions

Postby regular guy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:13 am

Howard

Going to get accelerator for CA glue. Might pick up a gel type CA glue also. I've seen it highly recommended.

At present, have a bottle of 'gap filling' CA glue.

Have a sheet of 6" wide balsa 1/4" thick.

Might cut off a piece of that 24" long for a workboard.

Bob
regular guy

Return to General Building Questions