First Kit Reentering Hobby

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

First Kit Reentering Hobby

Postby regular guy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:49 pm

Came to my senses about this.

It is going to be this profile flyer.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/gui/gui4501.htm

The first two of the 4000 series have been gathering dust in the study for good reason.

I do not want to get into a lot of frustration.

I think the profile flyer is just enough higher than putting together the Guillow's gliders for me.

Although it does involve covering the wings which is really the second kit in 4000's it looks like stick on covering.
regular guy

Re: First Kit Reentering Hobby

Postby Blacksheep214 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:35 pm

Not knocking the scale aircraft, because they fly great. In fact, all the ones I have are scale, but these tend to fly better than scale models do. I think you won't be disappointed!
Blacksheep214

Postby regular guy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:24 pm

They have all the profile flyers on sale at an online hobby store. Maybe we will get the 'German fighter'.

About the flying quality. Seems like the Guillows that are endurance flyers like the Javelin and Lancer should fly as good as anything available.

I can see how something made to look like a real plane might have a few problems.

Did not get an email alert about the response.
regular guy

Postby Blacksheep214 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 pm

regular guy wrote:They have all the profile flyers on sale at an online hobby store. Maybe we will get the 'German fighter'.

About the flying quality. Seems like the Guillows that are endurance flyers like the Javelin and Lancer should fly as good as anything available.

I can see how something made to look like a real plane might have a few problems.

Did not get an email alert about the response.

Just got my Me109 mini model ordered the other day and Guillow's is sent me an email showing shipped. Should be here early next week. Will get it put together and do a flight report afterwards, (if the weather cooperates). Would you mind me posting pics when I get it done?

P.S. About the scale planes, they are just that, scaled down versions of the full sized plane, meaning they are the real deal. They will pretty much behave like their full size brethren. That's what makes them challenging.
Blacksheep214

Postby regular guy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:26 pm

'Would you mind me posting pics when I get it done?'

Do you mean here in my post? Probably better to start your own post if you don't mind.

Going to take a look at a 500 series. Motivated to get the 24 page booklet.

Hopefully it will have just enough tips to get me through one of these kits.
regular guy

Postby Blacksheep214 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 am

regular guy wrote:'Would you mind me posting pics when I get it done?'

Do you mean here in my post? Probably better to start your own post if you don't mind.

Going to take a look at a 500 series. Motivated to get the 24 page booklet.

Hopefully it will have just enough tips to get me through one of these kits.

The 500 series flies really well. It is actually the lightest 500 series model I own. The little booklets are ok. The ultimate book on the subject was written by a fellow named Don Ross. That is a book worth getting. I believe the title was Rubber Powered Model Airplanes.
Blacksheep214

Postby regular guy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:08 pm

'ultimate book on the subject was written by a fellow named Don Ross'

Own the complete set.

Rubber Powered and Flying Models.

Might just stick it out and build the first of the 4000 series.

Goldwing 4101 Trainer.

Going to get some Midwest push pins we should of gotten a long time ago.
regular guy

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:48 pm

If you want to try a 500 series model start with an Avenger or a Hellcat. They are the easiest of the series to get to fly well.

The Don Ross book is great.

Another one that you can learn a great deal from, if you can find one, is "The Complete Model Aircraft Manual" by Edwin Hamilton, 1938 or 1939 edition. It teaches a lot about the way it used to be done...and still is in many ways.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby regular guy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:29 pm

Howard

Saw a Series 900 with the frame built before covering and it looked like it might be easy to build.

The sides were cut out of sheet as opposed to the Series 500 'bulkhead and stringer' construction.

Are the 900's easier to build than the 900's?

Bob

Update 2 13 18

900 Series Mustang is the frontrunner as simplest to build.

The Trojan, Skyraider and Chipmunk are more symmetrical but there are less parts in the Mustang.

Gravitating to the slab sided types. 600 Series Piper Cub and Cessna 180 look good too.
regular guy

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:58 pm

regular guy wrote:Howard

Saw a Series 900 with the frame built before covering and it looked like it might be easy to build.

The sides were cut out of sheet as opposed to the Series 500 'bulkhead and stringer' construction.

Are the 900's easier to build than the 900's?

Bob

Update 2 13 18

900 Series Mustang is the frontrunner as simplest to build.

The Trojan, Skyraider and Chipmunk are more symmetrical but there are less parts in the Mustang.

Gravitating to the slab sided types. 600 Series Piper Cub and Cessna 180 look good too.

Regular Guy,

Yes, 900's are easier to build and fly. Bird Dog, Typhoon and Skyraider are the best fliers, Mustang and Chipmunk OK, Trojan takes most work. Modify the nose to a removable, adjustable nose plate, make sure the wings are attached at the same incidence on both sides and use a better prop. I have a Typhoon that I built in 2004 that I can still get over 30 seconds out of with good rubber. 600 series all fly well if built straight.

Stop overthinking this and build something! We'll see how you do, give suggestions, and after you've built a few you'll get good at it. :D

Hope this helps,

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby regular guy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:06 am

Howard

The Skyraider is my pick.Of the Trojan, Chipmunk and it, it is the most straight forward and built on the square.

You don't seem too concerned about the lack of '24 Page Building Booklet' that you don't get with a 900.

Later on would like to get one of the high wing beginner kits.

Cessna 180, Piper Super Cub 95 or the Bird Dog.The 900 Series Mustang 900 looked good to me too.

Bob
regular guy

Return to General Building Questions