Uhu vs. Elmers Glue Sticks

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Uhu vs. Elmers Glue Sticks

Postby KirkH » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:02 pm

I normally tissue my planes using the 50/50 Elmers/water method but thought about using the glue stick method with my current project. I understand the glue stick of choice is the Uhu stick, but I'm wondering what makes the Uhu brand special compared to all the various Elmers glue sticks I see out there. Is it that it goes on purple before drying so you can see where the glue is on the frame? Just today I saw an Elmers glue stick that said "New! Transparent". Prior to this "new" type of Elmers stick did theirs not dry clear/transparent? Just wondering why the Uhu brand is better than Elmers. Thanks.
KirkH

Re: Uhu vs. Elmers Glue Sticks

Postby Blacksheep214 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:19 pm

Elmer's original glue stick went on purple and dried clear. I guess they have got a go on clear and dry clear variety. I have always used Elmer's. Tried Uhu a long time ago. Not that much difference really. Just a long time Elmer user.
Blacksheep214

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:35 pm

Kirk,

in my experience, it does not matter what brand of glue stick you use as long as it's "General Purpose" or "Permanent"and not"School". The school glue sticks are extremely washable, so you can wash it out of your kids clothes, and the tissue will come off your model on a humid day or a dewy morning at the flying field. Also, they have to be fresh. They dry out fast so it's best to buy the small sizes if you'r not making a model a week.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby T_om » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 am

The Gold Standard in glue sticks was the old formula UHU Purple stick. Unfortunately, that product is no more. It was replaced by a water-soluble "Blue" glue stick.

The difference in glue sticks for stick and tissue modelers, as pointed out above, is how they hold when wet. Purple UHU was great. Blue pretty much sucks. Elmers washable sucks and Elmers School version sucks most of all.

However, UHU clear has kept the old "permanent" formula and will hold wet just like the old purple. But, of course, it is clear so not as easy to see where you put it when working with it. But I have found that not to be a major problem after getting used to it.

Tom
T_om

Return to General Building Questions