Finishing Methods (No Airbrush)

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Finishing Methods (No Airbrush)

Postby KirkH » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:24 pm

The finish of my Hurricane was disappointing (through no fault of the model) so I'm wondering what pointers the experts might have with regards to obtaining a nice finish for both a static model or a model that I might want to fly. Please note I don't own an airbrush so I'm pretty much limited to brush paints and/or spray cans. Thanks.
KirkH

Re: Finishing Methods (No Airbrush)

Postby StefanJ » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:21 am

One possibility, for simple color schemes on flying models, is to use colored tissue. Mix and match for various parts of the model. You can even make stripes and scallops with darker tissue laid over the covering.

You can get a nice variety of colored tissue from mail order places. (I've been out of touch and don't know the current best suppliers.)

Coat with clear dope or thinned glue, add decals.
StefanJ

Postby KirkH » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:21 am

I'll need to keep that in mind. Since the kits come with plain waite paper I defaulted to the fact I'd need to paint. I'll need to look around to find places that supply colored tissue.
KirkH

Postby Steve Blanchard » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:51 pm

There are quite a few ways to get a great look on your finished model. The 2 I use most are Chalk on tissue and spraying with Design Master Floral Spray. The Design Master paints can be found in arts and craft stores such as AC Moore and Michaels. They are very light and work very well. The chalk on tissue method is a really great method but requires a little practice to get right but totally worth it. You can find a great tutorial here: http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/chalk.htm

Good Luck!
Steve Blanchard

Postby scigs30 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:24 pm

First of all, nothing compares to an airbrush finish, but I understand not everyone owns one. Used to be airbrushes were so expensive, but now they are dirt cheap so cost is not a factor. Also compressors are dirt cheap, but the big problem for some is not having space to airbrush.....so.......If that is the case then yes you can handbrush a freeflight model and still fly with rubber power. Here is my build for the Guillows Laser Cut P40 built out of the box with no modifications and covered with the supplied tissue. I then used EZedope brushed own to protect the tissue followed by hand brushing Testors acrylic paints. The second build is an old Sterling Piper J3 Cub that I built and used a 10 dollar badger airbrush to spray the Cub Yellow dope. They both fly using rubber power.

http://m.balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3594
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... b-J3-Build
scigs30

Postby KirkH » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:03 am

As I said; No Airbrush, and I don't plan on getting one, but the P-40 looks nice.
KirkH

Postby scigs30 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:59 pm

If you choose to hand brush Testors Acrylics, make sure to try it out on a practice piece first, such as a built up stab that has been covered and sealed. The acrylics worked great over the EzeDope. The other way to paint without airbrush is Design Master Aerosol spray cans. This is a laquer paint that reminds me of the old Pactra spray dopes. My Guillows Stuka was sprayed with this paint.
viewtopic.php?t=1706
scigs30

Postby KirkH » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:51 am

What a coincidence, I just picked up the Stuka kit and was wondering how I'd finish it. If you don't mind me asking, which Design Master colors did you use? Also, where are Design Master paints sold? One commenter mentioned Michaels so I'll probably check there first, but I was wondering where else I might find them. Thanks.
KirkH

Postby scigs30 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:50 pm

I bought mine from Michaels, sorry I don’t remember the colors.
scigs30

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:59 pm

If I use rattle can spray I use the Design Master Floral sprays because they have good coverage and, if carefully applied, are the lightest of the spray paints. When air brushing I use acrylic air brush inks. They are available from art supply stores in a wide assortment of opaque and transparent colors and, again if carefully applied, are extremely light. If I am modeling a WW2 German airplane I use Testor's Acryl acrylics since they have an assortment of "authentic" RLM colors.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby Blacksheep214 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:49 am

I had an airbrush that I did several of mine with as well. Since it quit working a while back, I have been buying the rattle spray cans since. Mostly Testors and Tamiya paints. It ain't cheap, but it sure is easy. And they give you almost as good a finish as does an airbrush.
Blacksheep214

Return to General Building Questions