Another Arrow Build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Another Arrow Build

Postby StefanJ » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:53 am

Haven't been by here for a while. After finishing my first-ever stick-and-tissue model, a Cessna 150, a few years back, I started in on an Arrow. I actually laid out the plans and stuck the stabilizer and rudder pieces to a bulletin board, but things stalled. Recently I was laid off, so I have time and energy to pursue geeky things again.

My brother gave me an Aeronica Champion for my birthday. I thought I'd finish the Arrow as a skill building before tackling that. (I also picked up other kits, including a few I found, intact, at thrift stores!)

I'm trying to be organized and flexible with this build. I have a "under the bed" plastic clothes storage box for keeping the pieces safe when I need the table for other things. (e.g., a model rocket launch next weekend.) I shifted another table so there's a space behind it, where I can store the bulletin boards when I need to set things aside for a while. (I actually have the Aeronica plans tacked out and covered with waxed paper. Kind of a committment to myself to keep the ball rolling.)

Let's see if Flickr's BB encode works.

Years back, I sliced and bundled the balsa stickage:

ImageOrganizing the Arrow's Parts by Stefan Jones, on Flickr

Finished the stabilizer and rudder:

ImageArrow Build: Stabilizer & Rudder by Stefan Jones, on Flickr

Done with the wing layout. I need to sand the trailing edge and sand smooth all around:

ImageArrow Build: Wing by Stefan Jones, on Flickr

I have the flat fusalage pieces laid out. Maybe I'll lift them off and glue the halves together this afternoon.
StefanJ

Re: Another Arrow Build

Postby StefanJ » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:22 pm

I have a question about my Arrow build.

I'm at the point where I'm gluing formers to the top of the fuselage frame:

ImageArrow Build: Where to these formers go? by Stefan Jones, on Flickr

The plans do not show exactly where along the top of the frame that B4, B6, B7, B8, B9 and B10 go, exactly. I started in, positioning 3 and 6 at points where they "fit" without squeezing. But I'm increasingly leery about just popping the formers in place. The wing has to fit on there eventually, and the bits of stringer (30, 31, 32) have to fit in there somewhere.

Anyone have any guidance?

Thanks

Stefan
StefanJ

Postby StefanJ » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:23 am

Has no one built an Arrow lately who might help with this?
StefanJ

Postby cliffm » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:59 pm

I would think they go inline with the side panel supports!!
cliffm

Postby Serceflyer » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 pm

those formers are shown on other side of plan, on the fullsize side view at bottom. keep up the good work.
Serceflyer

Postby StefanJ » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Thanks! I've been hesitating flipping the sheet over until this was done.

Model rocket flying season is over so now I can get back to the Arrow. I stored the frames in an under-bed plastic clothes storage bin. A good accessory!
StefanJ

Return to General Building Questions