Decal Sources?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Decal Sources?

Postby KirkH » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:27 pm

For anyone who wants to decorate their planes with something other than the decals provided in the kits, does anybody know of good sources for decals? I know there are many sources for plastic modelers, but I don't know of any for the size of planes generally built from balsa/tissue kits. Do most people just make their own using clear decal film and a color printer? Just wondering. Thanks.
KirkH

Re: Decal Sources?

Postby scigs30 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:51 pm

scigs30

Postby akjgardner » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:19 pm

Guillows sell decals
akjgardner

Postby KirkH » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:30 am

Yes, but only as replacements for the ones that come in the kits. My question concerns decorating my plane in a way not supported by the kit.
KirkH

Postby Johnny ace » Mon May 07, 2018 8:46 am

For the 500 series kits(1/30 scale)you could use 1/32 scale decals which are common for plastic kits.Try Squadron Shop and search there,or search 1/32 decals.
Johnny ace

Postby MKelly » Sat May 12, 2018 4:37 pm

You can also either scan or search the web for decal images, scale them appropriately and print them on white tissue. If you color the back of the white and light-colored areas with a white colored pencil they will look very nice. Cut them out, apply them to the model with glue stick and seal them on with dope or your favorite clear coat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MKelly

Postby kittyfritters » Sat May 12, 2018 9:55 pm

MKelly wrote:You can also either scan or search the web for decal images, scale them appropriately and print them on white tissue. If you color the back of the white and light-colored areas with a white colored pencil they will look very nice. Cut them out, apply them to the model with glue stick and seal them on with dope or your favorite clear coat.

I also recommend the printed on tissue method. The back side of the tissue can also be lightly misted with white Design Master floral spray before printing. All of the markings on this Beaver are tissue.

Beaver_1.jpg
Beaver_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kittyfritters

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat May 12, 2018 11:31 pm

Much better than plastic sticker decals. Guillows seems to be the only place I've found that has waterslide stars and bars for 1/16 scale. Almost ordered some, but ended up making them. Probably one of the best sources for waterslides in the smaller scales.
Bill Gaylord

Postby rjdelisi » Wed May 16, 2018 5:48 pm

I have a Canon inkjet printer & I'm interested in learning how you folks print decals on tissue paper- I've printed decals onto blank decal paper and it has worked well, but I can't imagine how it can be done on tissue. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but how do you manage to keep the tissue from wrinkling & how do you keep the ink from bleeding?

Thanks in advance,
rjdelisi
rjdelisi

Postby kittyfritters » Wed May 16, 2018 10:38 pm

rjdelisi wrote:I have a Canon inkjet printer & I'm interested in learning how you folks print decals on tissue paper- I've printed decals onto blank decal paper and it has worked well, but I can't imagine how it can be done on tissue. Maybe I'm overthinking this, but how do you manage to keep the tissue from wrinkling & how do you keep the ink from bleeding?

Thanks in advance,
rjdelisi

Use a "carrier sheet', a piece of ordinary bond paper that you stick the tissue to so it will run through the printer. I usually print on Esaki tissue, shiny side up and I stick it to the carrier sheet with "repositionable" glue stick (essentially, Post-It note glue). There are many opinions on how to stick the tissue down. I put a few stripes of the glue on the face of the sheet and apply the tissue from the center, working out, to make sure there are no wrinkles then fold over and glue on the back edges, front and sides, leaving the "tail" loose. You will have to experiment to see what works best on your printer.

Force the paper selection to Plain Paper, If you use Auto the printer may see the shiny side of Esaki tissue as photo paper. Do not use the Photo setting on the printer...too much ink! If it has a Fast Normal setting try that first, if still too much ink go to Draft, too little use Standard. Printers are different, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps!

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby rjdelisi » Thu May 17, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for the reply! I had thought that I would have to use some type of backing for the tissue to feed it thru the printer, but hadn't considered tweaking the print settings. Good tip. Thanks again!
rjdelisi

Return to General Building Questions