Newbie building a Piper Super Cub 95 kit #303 LC

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Newbie building a Piper Super Cub 95 kit #303 LC

Postby Ezeek » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:06 pm

So this is my first balsa plane I'm building and I've ran into a road block. I'd like to build it to fly and the instructions show where to separate the rudder from the vertical stabilizer as pictured in the attached picture (if I uploaded it right), however, it doesn't describe how to separate it (I'm assuming I just cut it?). More confusing for me though is instructions don't explain how to reattach it so it's adjustable after test flight even though they do say to adjust it later in the "Adjusting and Flying the Model" section. Any help? Thanks in advance :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ezeek

Re: Newbie building a Piper Super Cub 95 kit #303 LC

Postby Walt » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:52 pm

I can see how this may confuse you since you have not constructed a balsa kit before. Now this is important! You don't actually cut the parts apart if you are building a rubber powered model. The separation lines are there on the plan to show where the different control surfaces of the aircraft are. Use these lines so you will know where to draw the panel lines on the finished model. Now if you were going to build it into an RC model the lines are used to show where to cut the control surfaces apart but I don't think you are doing that. Keep building and have fun... :)
You can do it if you have patience!
Walt

Postby Ezeek » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:34 pm

Thanks for your time and information. That all makes sense. I think just one last follow up though, the instructions do say you can adjust the flaps to fine tune the flight. If I build the stabilizers solid, how do I adjust them after test flying? (Or can I?) Thanks.
Ezeek

Postby Walt » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:03 pm

Adjustment to flying surfaces is accomplished by warping the surface as needed. This can be done by lightly steaming the surface (sometimes just breathing on it is enough) and holding it until it is set. Or you can paste a small tab to the surface to do the same thing. Only make these adjustments in very very small steps as required.
You can do it if you have patience!
Walt

Postby Steve Blanchard » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:03 pm

For trimming rubber powered the best thing to do is to leave some space in the slot for the stabilizer so you can raise or lower the leading or trailing edge of the stab as needed for a good glide once you have the CG set in the correct position. Warping surfaces for this purpose can lead to inconsistent results. As the weather changes and it gets a little damp the warps may relax and you will have a brand new untrimmed airplane again. Keep it as simple as possible.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Postby Ezeek » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:19 pm

Perfect, thank you sir!
Ezeek

Return to General Building Questions