New kits from Guillow's?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Would you purchase / build a 'limited run' 100 series WWI model (18" wingspan)

Yes, I would like to build a: 101 - Nieuport 28
17%
Yes, I would like to build a: 102 - Spad
18%
Yes, I would like to build a: 103 - Fokker D7
17%
Yes, I would like to build a: 104 - British SE-5
14%
Yes, I would like to build a: 105 - Sopwith Camel
16%
Yes, I would like to build a: 106 - Fokker D-8
15%
No, I have no interest in these kits.
2%

Total votes : 391

Re: New kits from Guillow's?

Postby keepemflying » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:02 pm

Could there be a better first post for this new member than one which supports these re-issue kits?!?! After all, its 2017, and we find ourselves at the Centennial mark of this first World War. What better way to honor Paul K. himself than to bring back any/all of the WW1-/100-series kits, offered by Guillow, the original manufacturer of course! Suffice it to say that I'd gladly grab at least one of each! While you're at it, I might suggest some 'Dunkirk Edition' Spitfires & ME-109s (& Hurricanes of course, which actually flew over Dunkirk, even though they were not featured in the current movie). Keep 'Em Flying!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
keepemflying

Postby scigs30 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:32 pm

I actually built a vintage Camel and covered it with the kit tissue. I took her out flying and she did pretty well. I cannot imagine how well these would do with laser cut parts.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2754
scigs30

Postby KirkH » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:25 pm

My first love (from an aviation standpoint) was WWI era planes, so I'd be inclined to buy/build whatever planes from that era are offered.
KirkH

Postby Balsa Pilot » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:30 pm

Greetings to All, MARK!, hope all is well!! Any news yet on these kits re-issue? I get that you are all pretty busy what with the run-up to Christmas and all, but, As they say, Christmas is coming, and people are starting to ask what they can stuff the proverbial stocking with, and I keep hoping to be able to tell them to get one (or more)n of the WW1 Guillow'.s Bi-plane kits.....

Soooooo, what's the scoop from the man in the know?
Balsa Pilot

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Balsa Pilot,

If it's really going to happen, I suggest patience. Mark just ran it up the flag pole in August. You really must have done it to realize what it takes to put a kit into production.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby Balsa Pilot » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:45 am

ok Thanks Howard, my enthusiasm for a new project ran away with me, and, like you suggest - ignorance is bliss
Balsa Pilot

Postby Marshdweller » Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:20 pm

I would definitely be interested in this, and would buy multiple Camels.

Going off at a tangent, I'd love to see some models of the Schneider Trophy planes with an approximately 18 inch wingspan put into production.
Marshdweller

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:07 pm

Marshdweller wrote:I would definitely be interested in this, and would buy multiple Camels.

Going off at a tangent, I'd love to see some models of the Schneider Trophy planes with an approximately 18 inch wingspan put into production.

If you actually in intend to fly them, about a 24 inch wing span would be better. Try a 500 series Rufe, and you will see why. It has a 16 inch wing span and can be made to fly with a bit of work, but at 24 inches, or so it would be much easier.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby Marshdweller » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:00 am

kittyfritters wrote:
Marshdweller wrote:I would definitely be interested in this, and would buy multiple Camels.

If you actually in intend to fly them, about a 24 inch wing span would be better. Try a 500 series Rufe, and you will see why. It has a 16 inch wing span and can be made to fly with a bit of work, but at 24 inches, or so it would be much easier.

Howard

Thanks Howard, that's some valuable advice. At the moment, I'm building just to build, and if they don't nosedive straight at the floor I consider that progress.
Marshdweller

Postby Chris A. » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:42 pm

I have the Cleveland Models plan for the Supermarine S6B and it is in the wingspan range mentioned above. However the twin floats are huge with lots of drag. the horizontal stab will have to be enlarged and it will have to be built very light. In scale, it has a very high wing loading. Getting one to fly will really be a challenge.
Chris A.

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:59 pm

Chris,

Most Cleveland scale models are at 1:16 scale. (As are many of the Guillow kits.) This is my favorite scale since most subjects that I would want to model will have a 22 to 35 inch wing span, a size the is large enough for the model to have reasonable scale detail without being too structurally "dense". This is also a size that is relatively convenient to build and store while not being small enough to make trimming difficult.

Racing planes, however, are a different story. Even the mighty Schneider Trophy racers were rather small aircraft. They look larger because of the floats, but look at the attached pictures of the R3C and the Supermarine S5, and compare the size of the men to the size of the airplanes. (That's Jimmy Doolittle standing on the R3C float. He was 5 feet 6 inches tall.)

general-james-harold-jimmy-doolittle-on-his-curtiss-r3c-2-racer-C2N221.jpg

HighFlight-S5-219.jpg

If I were to kit Schneider Trophy racers I would do it at 1:12 scale. At that scale the S6B would have a wing span of 30 inches. Even the diminutive R3C would have a 22 inch wing span, which is OK since it's a biplane.

Cleveland kits, usually, were drawn with exceptional fidelity to scale, with every rib and stringer, and moveable control surfaces. This makes the smaller ones structurally "dense" and requires some lightening to make them flyable. Back in the 50s, when you could still buy Cleveland kits off the shelf in a hobby shop, I built a Widell-Williams 44 racer, (19-1/2 inch wing span) complete with all the ribs, and with a little lightening (although not as much as I would apply now) got it to fly rather well.

You can order the Cleveland plans at 1:12 scale or larger.

Keep 'Em Flying!

Howard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
kittyfritters

Postby Blacksheep214 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:36 pm

Would really like to see a Me109 G10, and a FW190 Dora (the long nosed focke wulf). Maybe a B model Mustang too.
Blacksheep214

Postby Johnny ace » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi,all.Ive been away for a couple years.The bug has bit me again.I remember these,actually built the D VII.I ,like many,would like them all to be re-issued.The first 6 that you mentioned,I would want them all.
Johnny ace

Postby Balsa Pilot » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:41 am

Greetings to all!

here we are almost 6 months down the road.

Any "NEW" news?

Id love to see how far along these airplanes are.
Balsa Pilot

Postby akjgardner » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:34 pm

Hey Mark , Whats the Verdict ?
akjgardner

PreviousNext

Return to General Building Questions