New kits from Guillow's?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Would you purchase / build a 'limited run' 100 series WWI model (18" wingspan)

Yes, I would like to build a: 101 - Nieuport 28
17%
Yes, I would like to build a: 102 - Spad
18%
Yes, I would like to build a: 103 - Fokker D7
17%
Yes, I would like to build a: 104 - British SE-5
14%
Yes, I would like to build a: 105 - Sopwith Camel
16%
Yes, I would like to build a: 106 - Fokker D-8
15%
No, I have no interest in these kits.
2%

Total votes : 391

New kits from Guillow's?

Postby mark » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:55 am

Hello modelers,

We are thinking of bringing out a 'limited run' of our old 100 series WWI models, to be sold via our webpage and mail order only. These are six authentic scale WWI Allied and German fighters that were used in the 1914-1918 war years ... now a part of aviation history. The stories of daring clashes and dogfights over the Western Front still stir the imagination of young and old alike.

These kits will be scale flying models with approx. 18" wingspans (5/8" = 1'). Will contain: Laser cut balsa parts, beautifully molded plastic cowl, scale plastic wheels, colorful decals, rubber motor, ample strip stock and tissue.

Please take a minute and "vote" above.
Thank you,
Guillow's
mark
Site Admin

Re: New kits from Guillow's?

Postby kittyfritters » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Mark,

Back when these kits were in production many clubs held contests just for 100 series kits. If they came back you could see that again.

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby Chris A. » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Wonderful series. However I remember that the series also had an Albatros D3 and a Sopwith Snipe. Both built up into nice planes. I'm presently building a Neuiport 28 from a very old partial kit. I'd buy the Fokker D7 for sure.

CAJ
Chris A.

Postby Mitch » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:56 am

Hello Mark and All Modelers,

I think this would be great, and I would probably buy all of them when available. I cast my vote for the TOP 3, I want to build right away that I believe would be good flyers.

FYI: Guillow's originally had 12 in this series, this list looks like the 6 that were still in production when I was a kid (the other 6, I never saw until the internet and ebay)

MOREOVER: The 'other company' ... uhhh Dumas, seems to be releasing several new models in there 'Walnut Scale' (18 inch ws) The only overlap I see is the SPAD. I just built that Dumas model and it is now hanging in my LHS. It went straight from my building board to the shop so no flight report yet on that. I would still buy the Guillow version and would like to see the difference in construction.

LAST NOTE: I built the Guillow's original 100 series SE5 about 2 years ago. (you can find thread here) from a kit I bought on ebay. It flew at WestFAC 5 in WW1 mass launch and flew for about 24 seconds... Although I was 'shot down' in the first round I noticed other planes came down before mine! As I recall there were about 15 planes in that launch about half SE5's and the other half Fokker D-7's.

I do not have a D7 in that size, so that was one of my selections.

Mitch
Mitch

Postby ekram » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:08 am

I never knew that they were discontinued. How long have they been out of production?
ekram

Postby scigs30 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:14 pm

Mark, This is great news, I would buy 2 of each.
scigs30

Postby 42swing » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:36 am

I have the whole set including the Pfalz, Halberstadt, Bristol Scout, and Snipe you never see. Got them as a set a couple years ago off e-Bay. The first stick and tissue model I ever built was the Bristol Scout. Going to clear the basement enough to start on #1, the Albatross, in the great fullness of time.
42swing

Postby scigs30 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:47 am

Mark, When would these be released?
scigs30

Postby mustangman » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:28 pm

mark ,any plans ever to bring back the mosquito? I'm sure theres interest in this kit I have asked this question before. I remember when you released these in the 70s with the b-25 .If not why not release the plastics and canopy. Mark
mustangman

Postby Balsa Pilot » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:05 am

Mark! This is great news....have always wanted to build one of this " collection". Never having built a multi-wing aircraft, it would be a greatly appreciated incentive to have the Guillow's expertise available as a place to lean in the construction of these beautiful aircraft. I get that you will be "testing the waters" with a limited run of some of these aircraft listed, and (as with many others), and I would gladly participate with the German ships initially. The Fokker models have always been a huge point of interest for me, particularly the D-8, as well as the D-7. One of my dearest friends grandfathers was a design engineer for the Dutch company of Anthony Fokker- she gave me some awesome pictures!! If you ever decide to expand the line, other aircraft like the Pfalz,Halberstadt, Albatros, and Fokker D-2, spring to mind.

With these added incentives, (Guillow's depth of engineering making construction much simpler, all things being very well explained etc., as well as a way to mount the top wing in relation to the bottom wing accurately-which, by the way, was what kept me away from multi-wing in the first place), this is something that is perfectly timed.
Also, it is very nice (from the consumers point of view), to find that, indeed, we are being listened to, which is, unfortunately, something that is all too uncommon these days.

When you start asking for suggestions for aircraft from World War 2, let me know. Ive got some ideas about the Dornier D0-335 Pfiel (Arrow) trainer, and the Heinkel He-219 Uhu (Owl).

Thanks again for this, and all that the team at Guillows does.

Best regards
Henry T-- Balsa Pilot
Balsa Pilot

Postby Bill Gaylord » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:05 am

FW189. Built a semi-scale years ago. The Guillow's philosophy including molded canopies would work well with that subject.

The poll results mirror two my votes. Nice thing with the Spad is again the molded cowl, along with not being an overmodeled subject either.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby scigs30 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Howard, I see a new Guillows challenge in the future.
scigs30

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:12 pm

scigs30 wrote:Howard, I see a new Guillows challenge in the future.

David,

Don't know if I want to do that. I still haven't cleaned up the mess from the last one. :roll:

Howard
kittyfritters

Postby Arlo DiPasquale » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:42 am

I love building the 100 series kits. I've built the Fokker D8 and SPAD and have the Nieuport 28 and Albatross waiting to be built. I know the six kits offered were discontinued sometime in the 80s, but I wonder why the others (which are much harder to find and fetch a lot more on eBay) we're discontinued in the 60s so soon after they entered production in the late 50s. I would really love to see those, as shelling out upwards of $60-70 on eBay for them is a bit difficult to do.
Arlo DiPasquale

Postby SteveM » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:35 pm

Umm, yes. One of each would be fantastic.
SteveM

Next

Return to General Building Questions