Sterling Piper Cub J3

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Sterling Piper Cub J3

Postby scigs30 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:38 pm

I know not a Guillows kit, but close. Same die crunched balsa and building format. We all remember Sterling kits, looked just like Guillows kits, great box art that lured you into buying a kit, also the dropping bombs was another hit. Once you opened the kit you discovered the same style of build as a Guillows kit. I would say Sterling kits had some good qualities such as the preformed wire landing gear that would not bust off like the Guillows and Comet "pin" method of attaching wheels. Also Sterling kits came with light weight silkspan that worked great compared to domestic tissue. A matter of fact, I learned how to wet cover using Sterling Silkspan. The build is pretty much like an older Guillows kit, do your best and punch out the parts, then sand to the shape of the parts on the plans. After the parts are taken care of the build goes pretty fast. I used Testors green wood glue, just like the old days for me. I built this for nostalgia but plan on flying with rubber. The wood is old and the kit smells like an old book store, man I love that smell. If you were around in the 70s and 80s you may recognize this kit being built on the Brady Bunch, Episode Alice September Song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2bycJMx2i8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Re: Sterling Piper Cub J3

Postby scigs30 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:43 pm

The Silkspan is great covering and Guillows and still sells it on their website used on the larger planes, I don't think K&S sells it any longer. I used to know freeflight model builders who would use silkspan instead of tissue since it was easier to apply around curved parts. I apply the Silkspan wet attaching with diluted Elmers glue just like my regular tissue covering. I have never tried applying Silkspan dry but I am sure it would work. I then shrink with water if needed and brush on 2 coats of Aerogloss dope. Unfortunately Aerogloss no longer makes dope so I will have to swap over to Sig.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
scigs30

Re: Sterling Piper Cub J3

Postby scigs30 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:44 pm

See, I am the same stage as the Brady Bunch build before they painted theirs yellow.
scigs30

Return to General Building Questions