How do I cover sheet balsa?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

How do I cover sheet balsa?

Postby Balsa Pilot » Tue May 23, 2017 4:09 pm

Greetings to all!

For the first time I've infilled the front end on an aircraft model - that also is intended to fly, by the way. So I have in-filled the separate cowl(for a radial engine), which is to be attached later, and also in-filled the first three bulkheads for strength. So after ALL that sanding, the front end really looks cool, but it occurred to me I've never done the next step before. I am familiar with dry-covering framework and wings with a choice of dope, glue stick, diluted white glue, etc., but have no idea how to cover an in-filled front end, and I expect you need to be able to shrink the tissue as well?

So, if you have them, your ideas for what is probably a ridiculously simple process would be greatly appreciated.
For those who are curious it's a Wedell-Williams Red Lion Racer- #121

Thanks again for any ideas you might have! Blue side up!
Balsa Pilot

Re: How do I cover sheet balsa?

Postby Coloradoken » Tue May 23, 2017 5:56 pm

When I infill I don't cover it. Just seal, sand and paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coloradoken

Postby Mitch » Wed May 24, 2017 4:42 am

If you are using colored paper as I do. I cover the same as any other area. For curved areas I may use smaller pieces. Just add glue stick to the outline of the papered area and apply paper. When entire fuselage is covered. I spray with water and use a hanger to suspend model to dry.

FYI: Unless you have a gas engine, I think 3 bays filled in is excessive. I just fill in the first bay.

That's just the way I do it... it works for me... Mitch
Mitch

Postby Balsa Pilot » Wed May 24, 2017 3:37 pm

Dear Coloradoken and Mitch

Thank you, I appreciate your both taking the time to reply, That is a very nice SE-5, by the way Ken, but I was hoping to avoid paint with this one, as I'd hoped to keep it light.
The infill-"ing" is all at or ahead of the CG, so I hope it's all for the greater good!(with regards to balance) so to speak.
As you suggested Mitch, just the glue stick to the borders and cover as per normal works for me. I've seen the results of your work and have a lot of respect for your opinions.

Thanks again guys your work amazes me, and I appreciate your thoughts
H
Balsa Pilot

Postby MKelly » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:46 pm

Sorry to be so late replying to this, my forum account request got lost amongst the spam. I prefer to cover sheeted areas with damp tissue, and where possible I'll use a single piece of tissue to cover both framework and sheeted areas (such as a fuselage side with a sheeted nose). Not much different from covering regular structure, just put your favorite tissue adhesive (I use white glue thinned with water) around the periphery, spray the tissue lightly with water, lay it down and pull it snug.

Suggestion: put a coat of balsa fillercoat (such as the fillercoat available from Sig) over the sheeted areas and lightly sand it prior to covering. I've found this does two things - first, it seals the sheet so that the grain doesn't lift from the moisture used to shrink the tissue, and second it evens out the color of the structure under the tissue so that joints and laser marks don't show as much through the tissue.

Hope this helps.

Mike
MKelly

Return to General Building Questions