Sopwith Camel Completed

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Sopwith Camel Completed

Postby jrepok » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:48 pm

01-IMG_0505-001.JPG
I just finished building the Sopwith Camel (Kit 801) and want to share some photos. It was my first balsa model since I was 12 years old and was a bit intimidated by some of the great model photos on this forum. Once I completed the model, I was rather pleased. Now I have to decide what model will be next!

Here is a link to view some additional photos that I took of the model:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmlgI2DkkFsJlkxQQXtglhtkQFRo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jrepok on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrepok

Re: Sopwith Camel Completed

Postby heywooood » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Terrific looking Camel !!
excellent craftsmanship man, just outstanding.
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby DenisCullinan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:33 pm

That's a very satisfying completed build! It helps make my day just to see such skill.
DenisCullinan

Postby elkhart » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:45 am

Looks fantastic! What did you use for the rigging?
elkhart

Postby jrepok » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Thanks for the positive comments.

For the rigging I used "elastic bead cord" that I purchased in the jewelry making department of a local craft store (I think it was Michaels or A. C. Moore). By using slightly shorter lengths of the cord, I could stretch the rigging to fit. It then maintains its tension without sagging.
jrepok

Postby elkhart » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:52 am

How did you assemble the pilot and guns? I've struggled with joining the plastic on these kits, can't seem to get a nice seam.
elkhart

Postby jrepok » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:57 pm

Dear elkhart:

I think I posted a reply to a similar question that you had previously, about gluing the plastic parts together. I used water soluble foam insulation.

Here is the link to my post explaining how to do it: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3580
jrepok

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:00 am

Nice job. This is one of the most beautiful of the Guillow's kits. A job to build properly, especially for flying, but worth the effort.
Bill Gaylord

Postby jrepok » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:02 pm

Thanks, Bill.

When I first started the Sopwith Camel project, I had no idea that it would turn out as well as it did. Looking at the various project photos in this forum, I really felt intimidated by the high level of craftsmanship displayed in the photos. However, as I got deeper into the build, I decided to add certain details not included in the instructions (i.e., rigging) and found a LOT of information and inspiration from model and actual aircraft photos found on the internet. There are certainly a lot of mistakes on the model and things that I would do differently on future models, but, overall, I'm pleased with the results.

One very important thing that I did learn, not too far into the build: How you do something in step #1 will most likely have a big impact on doing something later in step #4 Or #5. You have to think 3 or 4 steps ahead to avoid mistakes that could be very costly!
jrepok

Postby heywooood » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:00 pm

that is the truth - and one of the things I love about scale model making. You have to be mindful and dedicated to completing each step with care toward the overall project. You can create a cascade effect if you are not careful...it can be ok to miss on something a little and correct it in the subsequent step(s) but too much of that is just asking for trouble.
Isn't it great though when a project turns out better than you expected - often because you overcame an error or managed a new idea/technique that you had not tried or dealt with before?..
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby jrepok » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:15 am

Yes. Building a model certainly teaches the builder how to overcome problems in various areas: 1. Questions not covered by the instructions/plans; 2. Correcting mistakes without jeopardizing the end product; and 3. Developing a better technique/method (or, at least one that works better for you).
jrepok

Return to General Building Questions