Gluing plastic parts together

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Gluing plastic parts together

Postby elkhart » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:20 pm

I'm working on a 500 series Rufe, and in addition to the main float it has a plastic pylon for each wing. The pylons come in two molded halves, same material as the cowl. I tried trimming the flashing to within an 1/8" of the edge of the structure, then gluing them together with Testor's model cement. However when trimming and sanding the flash so it is flush with the pylon, it opens up a hole. In other words, the halves are only glued together at the flashing, when the flashing is removed, the halves are no longer glued together. So how do you do this? I'd rather not leave any flashing.
elkhart

Re: Gluing plastic parts together

Postby Coloradoken » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:07 pm

Testors markets a clear plastic adhesive that is meant to be a "window" maker. I have used this product not only as an adhesive but as a gap filler for plastics. Just finished gluing 2 plastic halves for the Scout pilot. Came out OK.
Coloradoken

Postby Coloradoken » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:34 pm

the pilot
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coloradoken

Postby Bill Gaylord » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:27 am

I use gap filling (thicker) CA, with activator spray. The part half mating seams are first decked to where there is very little, to no flange remaining. The parts halves are then tack glued in multiple areas, to ensure full alignment of both halves. If I want more sanding latitude, then thick CA is ran inside the part, flowed along the inside of the seams, and then misted with activator for instant curing. A small amount of thin CA could also be used, although it will tend to also flow through the seam, if not tight. Too much activator can cause a bit of heat warping to the thin plastic. Any outer seam showing at this point is sanded and/or scraped down, so that no mating seam is showing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Postby jrepok » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:57 pm

For a different way to glue vacuformed plastic parts, see this posting: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3580
jrepok

Postby slopemeno » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:22 pm

I've had good luck using a tiny bead of Goop. Goop or E-6000 remains flexible for decades, and doesn't debond at the first big impact.
slopemeno

Return to General Building Questions