Plastic sheeting to cover Guillow kits

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Plastic sheeting to cover Guillow kits

Postby donnier » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:06 pm

I have sheathed my last three Guillow kits in 1/32" balsa totally. A lot of extra work and it requires a learning curve. But have seen some beautiful work (the P40 is fantastic!) done with sheathing. Also, have heard of colored plastic sheets to cover the framework for an even smoother look. (Recent Hellcat in a Guillow catalog must be a good example and, perhaps, the B24 recently as well.) How does one find the plastic sheeting product? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!
donnier

Re: Plastic sheeting to cover Guillow kits

Postby Bill Gaylord » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:26 pm

If you're referring to iron-on coverings, I use Coverite Microlite, which is one of the lightest "plastic" coverings available. Tower Hobbies sells it, as well as some hobby shops. The manufacturer recommends that it shouldn't be painted, although there are numerous tips on painting Microlite on model forums. Some paints will relax the covering, especially if painted too quickly, but it will reshrink when dry, where a high power hair dryer generally removes any remaining wrinkles. Below is a 1/32" sheeted Guillows FW190 with painted Microlite covering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bill Gaylord

Return to General Building Questions