Layout boards

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Layout boards

Postby Glue fingers » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:04 pm

Hey been looking for a board that I could use to stick pins in when working on the model about 20 x 30" is there any such animal
Glue fingers

Re: Layout boards

Postby WIDDOG » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:57 pm

I use the craft foam board from the Dollar Tree store. I just tape it onto a piece of shelf baord. It doesn't seem like it would last but mine has held up nicely.
WIDDOG

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:47 pm

This is a slight deviation from what you asked for, but I use a sheet of steel glued to some MDF board. I stick everything on with magnets. That way, it's real easy to keep things straight.
backyardbalsapilot

Postby Coloradoken » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:17 pm

I find magnets can't be beat.
Coloradoken

Postby Balsa Pilot » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:24 pm

I couldn't agree more.
Up 'til now I used commercial grade ceiling tile glued 2 deep for the pins.
After just spaghetti-ing my new fuselage, because I didn't block the formers 'til after the glue dried. This after they were all nice and square done with a right angle triangle-(AAAARRGH by the way), MAGNETS ARE THE WAY TO GO!!! They are SQUARE-they stay where you put'em!!
I don't usually believe in, or make resolutions. However you are now talking to the converted-I've vowed to go out and get the steel sheet and those nice little square magnets that make it so easy to build it true- and not waste a lovely kit.

There's an old pilot's axiom that's appropriate: Learn from the mistakes of others. You'll never live long enough to make them all yourself!

Hope this helps

Henry
Balsa Pilot

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:47 pm

Home depot is a pretty good place to get a 2'x3' piece of sheet steel. Look in the ductwork section.
backyardbalsapilot

Postby Coloradoken » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:29 pm

I bought my magnets and board from Easy Built Models. They have a great selection.
They require a little getting used to. They like to seek each other, exacto handles, pins, and anything else ferrous. They are ,well, magnetic! Once you get used to them nothing else works as well.
Coloradoken

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:41 pm

EBM has good magnets, but their Mag=boards are a bit in the pricey side.
backyardbalsapilot

Postby flying t » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:45 pm

ya im old too,ready bd is great. I glue a piece onto a piece of paneling,i can then move the board to another location to dry and work on another part or plane at same time, if u want a stiffer wb laminate 2 sheets together with a wood board on top as a weight to get rid of some warping,sheet been a spot welder for many years,be careful of raw steel and galvanized sheet,rustolium never really dries,clear turns yellow cause of fishoil as base, always paint surface,it gives off a poison gas causes fume fever if u handle a lot of it,sheet steel comes in ROLLS,not really flat,check piece.
flying t

Postby Theflyingturk » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:02 pm

i just started, and im using a square peice of sheet rock from lowes here in canada. they sell them in big squares, that they almost fit my full plans for the javelin. i got it orginally to build a 52 inch RC plane, but since the plans dont fit as they are massive, i cant do rc planes (decided that free flight rubber is more affordabe and i can build still, and enjoy with the little ones ((i got the plane builders kit that comes with like 6 different planes)))
Theflyingturk

Postby Bis » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:26 pm

For those using magnets , baking or cookie sheet works well. You can get them cheap at Dollar General or Wal-Mart.
Bis

Postby Chris A. » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm still using 1" thick high density pink foam insulation board. Cheap and I just trough the used piece away when I'm done. However CA and acetone melt it, so I use SigBond or Elmers wood glue. I've made right angle wood blocks for the fuselage formers.
Chris A.

Postby Scott » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:19 pm

Bis wrote:For those using magnets , baking or cookie sheet works well. You can get them cheap at Dollar General or Wal-Mart.

Great idea,thanks.
Hawker Sea Fury FB.11 VF-871
Royal Canadian Navy
Scott

Return to General Building Questions