Guillows Laser Cut Rufe build

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: Guillows Laser Cut Rufe build

Postby scigs30 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:54 pm

I fist made sure it cleared the prop, then made sure the angle was correct, marked it and glued it in place.
scigs30

Postby backyardbalsapilot » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:36 am

Oh. I think I got it. Did you adjust the float? Sorry for my lack of understanding.
backyardbalsapilot

Postby scigs30 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:34 pm

Not really, I just made sure the float was low enough so the prop cleared. Now there are ways around this, such as making S2 and S3 longer or bringing up the S1 plate inside the float. Or you could add a 3 bladed prop.
scigs30

Postby elkhart » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:53 pm

Nice build! Do you add dihedral to the 500's?

My son (via my dad!) got me a Rufe kit for Christmas. All my builds are for him, so I'm not looking for competition flights. Seven year olds are happy with a loop or two! The wood in this die cut kit was terrible, very brittle. One sheet had quite a bit of figure, which did not help alignment. I gave up on it and just ordered the laser cut kit, hopefully will be here in a few days.

I'm interested in seeing how well it flies with the floats. I thought about leaving them off. Keep us posted!
elkhart

Postby crazywinginit » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Steve Blanchard wrote:Scigs,

I am glad to hear that you are picking these up at random and from a LHS. I compete so I do build mostly from scratch or from more competitive leaning kit manufacturers. I have to admit that there is just something so appealing about the Guillow's kits that I keep buying them. When I open them and look to build them I am sometimes happily surprised and sometimes disappointed. Either way thanks for the response. I will be picking up some 500 series kits for some fun winter flying. We fly once a month mini meets all year long and when winter comes along here in Connecticut it can get pretty nasty. Don't mind throwing a tough as nails plane in the air when that happens.

Steve

Where do you fly indoors ? thanks
crazywinginit

Postby Steve Blanchard » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:39 am

I don't fly indoors. It's outdoors all year long for me. We do have a group that flies indoors here in Connecticut though. They fly at the Glostonbury high school gym. I do have a schedule of dates if you are from the area and are interested.

Steve
Steve Blanchard

Previous

Return to General Building Questions