getting plans to lie flat

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

getting plans to lie flat

Postby woundedbear » Sun May 08, 2016 8:59 pm

What is the best way to get the folds out of the build sheets? So they will lie flat on my build board?
woundedbear

Re: getting plans to lie flat

Postby heywooood » Mon May 09, 2016 12:10 am

I have always used this method and no problems.
start at the corners - if you number the corners of the plan clockwise from the top left corner - call that number one, then the right upper corner is number two, the right lower is number three, and then the lower left is four
tape down corner number one securely - then pull corner number three to the right and down as you slide your left hand across from corner one down and over to corner three then tape it down securely.
Now go up to corner number two and pull it up tight from corner three and away from corner number one - slide your left hand across from the center of the plan up and toward corner two and tape it down securely.
Finally slide your right hand down and to the left starting at corner two all the way to corner four and tape it securely.
all the corners are down and your plan should be flat. Now do the same thing with the center of each of the four SIDES of the plan. Start on the left side and tape it down - then across to the right side -then the top and then the bottom.
Now I usually go ahead and put long strips along each side completely sealing the edges of the plan to the work board.
Then I put the clear cellophane over the plan using exactly the same process. Never had a problem. just be certain the board is completely clean and clear from any debris before you start because you want the plan to be sealed FLAT
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby heywooood » Mon May 09, 2016 12:17 am

I should add that I almost never use the ENTIRE plan sheet - I always cut the plan so I am taping as little of it down as I have to - and usually this method also eliminates at least ONE of the folds or creases
So If you are building the fuselage first (typical) then cut that part of the plan free from the sheet and just tape that part down.
after each assembly is complete I usually tape the plan sheet back together but that's just me..but I have found it is less likely to miss an assembly step if I keep putting the sheet back together after each step.
It causes me to look the plans over carefully each time - I usually find something I might have missed otherwise.
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby woundedbear » Mon May 09, 2016 1:25 am

Thank you for your reply hewooood. I was thinking the plans sheet should be ironed as well, I once sprayed a plan sheet lightly with water before ironing it. This was a big mistake or maybe I did it wrong :oops: after that disaster I tried ironing a plan sheet without spraying it with water and that worked better, but until I started using wide shouldered push pins to hold the keels in place and tight to the building board, the creases would rise up and cause a misalignment of the fuselage. There must be a way of eliminating the creases caused by the way Guillows tightly folds their plans :? If only when ordering a kit from Guillows directly I could get plans sheets shipped in one of the US postal services priority mail boxes,"the boxes with the triangular cross-sectioned type :idea: I would be happy to pay the extra shipping cost to get crease free rolled plans sheets :wink: Does anybody else know of a different method for getting out the sharply folded creases out of Guillows plans? I did try folding the creases out of one other Guillows plan sheet by folding them in the opposite direction but this caused the plan sheet to tear along of the folds :x
woundedbear

Postby Coloradoken » Tue May 10, 2016 5:56 pm

I currently use magnets so the plan is spread over the galvanized sheet then covered with waxed paper. The strong magnets do a good job of keeping the plans flat.
Coloradoken

Postby NcGunny » Wed May 11, 2016 3:33 pm

Another way might be to take em to Staples,Kinkos,UPS, have em scanned and printed.
NcGunny

Postby woundedbear » Wed May 11, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks NcGunny! sounds like a good suggestion, :idea: We have a Staple's here in Asheboro. I'll look into having them do the scan and print job for me thanks :P
woundedbear

Postby Xanadu » Mon May 23, 2016 6:05 pm

Don't be surprised if they will not scan or copy them for you due to copyright issues. Some will some not.
Xanadu

Postby Xanadu » Mon May 23, 2016 6:07 pm

I just tape mine down to an old ceiling tile, then put wax paper over top of the plans. Just pull the tight when taping them down, I ever have issues with creases.
Xanadu

Postby mattking » Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:12 pm

I scan and print mine, especially for smaller individual components and the 500 series kits.
mattking

Postby flying t » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:14 pm

I use a gallon size storage zip bag,scan and print the parts for building put inside bag and staple the 4 corners,i use foam bd for work surface and staple bag to that,get air out or leave unzipped,superglue wont stick to it.
flying t

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Xanadu wrote:Don't be surprised if they will not scan or copy them for you due to copyright issues. Some will some not.

I ran into that situation only once. The operator at my local Staples wouldn't make multiple copies of a set of my plans from a thumb drive because of the obvious copyright statement on the plans. I called the manager over then showed him my business card, proving that I AM the copyright holder. Haven't had any troubles since. :wink:
kittyfritters

Postby pedwards2932 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:31 am

I use magnets......I took a piece of 3/4 plywood and glued some thin sheet metal to it. It is pretty flat and straight. I use magnets to hold down plans with a sheet of plastic wrap on top of the plans so nothing sticks to the plans. I have a wide variety of magnets and they hold better than pins for me. I also have a 3d printer where I can make custom hold downs and clamps.
pedwards2932

Return to General Building Questions