kit #305 DeHavilland Beaver...Floats?

Ask other modelers for a little help / knowledge ?

Re: kit #305 DeHavilland Beaver...Floats?

Postby heywooood » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:59 am

nice work! I like your paint scheme. The infill method does require a ton of extra labor..mostly sanding and shaping as you have mentioned.
...you made that out of a box of sticks..?
...what is WRONG with you!
heywooood

Postby Coloradoken » Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks. Got hooked on float planes. Next project will be the giant PBY 5A, Catalina. Going to be a bear to infill. Should keep me busy the rest of the year.
Coloradoken

Postby kittyfritters » Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:35 pm

davidchoate wrote:Nice Beaver ! I recall an article in a recent issue on MAN,FLY RC, or AMA magfazines. I get all 3 ,but It was a cool setup on the steering. Excellently functional if You got the guts to put that beautiful, God knows how many painstaking hours of work Plane down in a Pond! I also try My best to get a scale 3 or 4 blade prop. But sometimes I just cant get the right one to Fly it on, but Who says You can not swap it for photos. Right? I found Master Airscrew the "best Looking", But They are not really dersigned for electric power. Nice Photos. I LOVE Radial Engines. As a Mechanic I really appreciate them. On a Plane. Not in a Sherman, of course. I just happened to have that Kit out as a possible little project, and I Hasve a seperate plan sheet for floats. Does Yours not? If You need it let Me Know. It looks like it would work with a few modifications, but either way, If I was Going to Maiden Mine, I'd do it from a Terra Firma 1st til I trimmed it, and maybe even test the floats on a known well behaved Plane 1st . I think that The Beaver is one of the best Civilian Airframes Ever produced. And it is not a Small Plane. I don't know what exact scale this Kit is, but it's a shame they made it so 1/24 scale. I downloaded them photos of the full scale Beaver for a screensaver, or idea picture. Thanx

The decision to make it 1/24 scale was a marketing one. The Beaver and Porter are, indeed, not small planes. At 1/16 scale the Beaver would have a 36 inch wing span and the Porter would have a 40.5 inch wing span. They would not have fit into the 300 series line up (or boxes).
kittyfritters

Postby heywooood » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:46 pm

I love this scale because it works for display models. You just csnnot find plastic scale civilian aircraft larger than 1/48 typically, and only one or two types. There is virtually no selection at all. Here Guillow has 7 or 8 excellent civilian prop planes in their catalog that build into terrific display - or flying - scale models.
Now if you guys would maybe consider a twin - maybe a Beech 18 or newer Twin Aztec or Baron...
Or a Skymaster C337...
heywooood

Postby liale » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Absolutely awesome build. I am getting ready to build this model and so glad to see your post. I have always done the tissue covering thing... old school I guess, but I really like working with the tissue but have been thinking about trying the balsa sheet fill/covering. I recently finished the B 17G build and did use balsa fill on the upper nose to improve the contour and I liked the result. Your example has convinced me to go that way on my Beaver. I also intend to do the interior on the Beaver as I also did it on my C 172 build and it turned out great ... I enjoy hand crafting from scratch as apparently do you.

I downloaded some of your finished photos of the Beaver, not to copy but to use as a quality goal.

Thanks for taking the time to post your fantastic build.

Liale
liale

Postby heywooood » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:36 pm

I appreciate your kind encouragement - thank You!
It is the opportunity to add detail to these models that I also enjoy.
Is your Fortress build or photo's of it posted here?
The big B-17 is on my to-do list...

If you have any questions about my DHc-2 build or any process I might have used please post them here and I will reply.
If you plan to scratch build a radial engine for your model I found this site helpful http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/y ... 1396642269

Good luck with your project !
heywooood

Previous

Return to General Building Questions